Advice regarding backup to external hdd

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I didn't know about the shorter warranties. That does give one pause to think about it. My sister and I each jumped on the external hard drive train fairly early in the game buying external Maxtors enclosed in rather small plastic enclosures. They didn't last very long. Thermal may well have been a factor. I noticed right away that the enclosure seemed way too warm. Plastic is not a good conductor of heat. If the plastic feels warm, you can bet that it considerably hotter on the inside surface.

Do they even sell plastic enclosures by themselves? Who'd buy one?

Some after market enclosures have aluminum cases, variable speed fans, and digital temperature displays. Geek out! Personally I'd love one! The newer ext. HDD I have is also a Maxtor. The enclosure is aluminum and slightly larger. "Blah, blah, blah...is room temperature..." I really doubt that. Mine isn't. To assist me in a little experiment I am using a wired temperature probe that they use in aquariums and such.

[Part-1]
    I have placed it on top of the enclosure with a little piece of cardboard over it, bent into a "U" shape so as to help surround the probe with warmed air. Result: 79.8 degrees, compared to a room temperature of 67 degrees. Almost 13 degrees warmer! And the drive is not even doing anything! Next we move on to the internal hard drive. [In case you were wondering the thermometer just happened to be on my desk, and the computer case is open already because I am installing a new video card]

[Part-2]
    ...to be continued

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.