Advice Please re: Compromised Personal Information

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Escalader, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Just received a letter today from a mutual fund firm here in Canada. They report that over 400,000 client names,addresses, date of birth, beneficiary information, bank account numbers, social insurance numbers and signatures have been "lost" or stolen via a disk somewhere between Toronto and Montreal! This is reported in the Canadian media.

That's the good news. The bad news is my information is included on this disk as I own some of their funds!

Actions Today.

I have frozen the investment account pending an account number change, determined that the bank account is not included since account managed through a third party bank. Bank says they cover any losses due to fraud.

Mutual fund firm will tell the credit rating firms to put a security flag on my records and also compensate clients.

That all said what is left undone that should be done in circumstances?:doubt:

2. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

If your SI # is like an SS # in the states then with all the other info you state was lost,you may be in deep crap. That is all someone needs to open new accounts in your name. Can your SI number be changed by the gov. at your request given the bad spot these people put you in?

3. Escalader

A good question. I will ask the Canadian Government this question. I am NOT optimistic on this point.

The banks here are supposed to ask for id, but all the bad guys needs to do is get a fake drivers license and fake sin card and they are done.

I do have title insurance on the house set up a few months back so that is good.

Since my 1st post on this, I have had my bank post a note on my profile that I have been the victim of potential identity theft ( how effective this is in doubt)

As well I have altered my bank pin number.

Thanks for replying, so far you are the only one.

4. Escalader

It's a bit different here. It is possible to get a new SIN but it looks like you actually have to have a proven documented privacy breach occur, like getting a visa bill that you didn't incur!

So, IF I get an actual event as opposed to a possible one I will take that route.

Other steps underway include upgrading the detail in my bank profile, official report to police (so credit monitoring) will take me seriously.

Has anybody else got specific steps they can recommend ?

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, I think that you´ve done all the necessary steps. I´m not very used to online banking/paying/buying BTW.

6. Escalader

You may be wise to stay away from it anyway!

Right now in Canada identity theft has become an industry.:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.