Advice needed on security software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gaz2uk, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaz2uk

gaz2uk Registered Member

Hey guys,

I have kaspersky 2009 Internet Security running (been using kaspersky for the last year) but my license is about to run out so I am looking into alternatives, or if I should just renew my license.

I've been on quite a few sites with virus scanner / firewall tests and so far i've picked out Avira Antivir Premium, and Online Armor (paid version) These are the two I am thinking about changing too from kaspersky.

Would this give me more protection than the kaspersky 2009 I am using? Any other security software you would recommend instead?

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

If kaspersky is doing the job then I would recommend you keep it. It is very hard to say whether a setup would give more 'real world' protection than another. Because both KAV and Avira are good suites, I dont think changing will make a practical difference.

3. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

Firewall - Comodo (it's included in Comodo Internet Security, and you can disable its antivirus feature.)

Antivirus - Avira AntiVir Premium

Web browser - Sandboxed firefox using Sandboxie.

4. Someone

Someone Registered Member

+1. Kaspersky IS is one of the best suites, there's no need to change.

I would also suggest adding a sandbox, such as Sandboxie or DefenseWall.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

out of all the SUITES, i think Kaspeersky does offer the best protection, simply because of all the features it has, HIPS, etc.

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I admit im a KIS fan myself but its my simple opinion that building your own suite is more to my liking especially the one you had in mind so my vote is for OA + Antivir

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Compatibility is an important issue with security software, and it sounds like KIS 2009 is working well for you, but if you want to look at other apps many are available as trial-ware, such as Norton Internet Security 2009. It has worked very reliably on my three systems and it has received strong reviews. Be careful when uninstalling security software that everything is removed. I recommend Revo Uninstaller.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

gaz2uk your fine with what you have.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Whether one product would give your system more protection depends on many factors, to name a few, how well is the 'chemistry' of your product with your system (including potential conflicts that might affect the efficiency of the suite), the type of configuration that you choose.

IMO, the issue here is whether you should stick to a suite (KIS is among the best) or you should go for separate modules. I have never liked suites because I believe single modules (basically AVs, FWs) from different companies tend to be more specialized in what they do. If your license is about to run out, you can trial other companies and see how your computer responds in terms of resources and speed. More protection? I don't think so. Adding a sandbox or virtualizer would definitely improve your protection against the risk of infection.

10. icr

icr Registered Member

Did u encounter any problems while evaluating Kaspersky
    if no i would suggest u to stick with Kaspersky:thumb:

11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Did you tried DefenseWall - policy based sandbox? It has also implemented HIPS module.

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

If KAV is working fine for you, I would not change it.

13. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I would stick with it; why? Because it's known to work and has a track record on your computer. And you know all the little intricacies of it. Unless you are looking for freeware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.