Advice needed for rare FDISR problem

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Heck, even excellent software programs sometimes have problems; this is for FDISR original classic.

I had a problem with one of my Snapshots, one that is too long to explain and besides I don't fully understand it anyways. Suffice it to say, when I recently rebooted I received a chkdsk error and Windows did its usual checking. It stated that it had deleted a file then continued to boot as usual. Everything seems OK but one of my FDISR snapshots is now gone. Everything is working so far as I can tell at this point but whenever I reboot I receive the message "ISR file not found".

The missing FDISR Snapshot can be recreated without too much problem but the $ISR folder in the c:drive is still showing that it is there. In other words, I will never be able to once again have 10 bootable snapshots, only 9, because FDISR will always believe that it has one more bootable Snapshot than it actually does.

My question is this: if I recover an old ShadowProtect image, and I mean really old, will restoring a brand new FDISR archive afterward fully restore my system to its present state. FDISR has always worked so well for me that I have never needed to restore a ShadowProtect image. Has anyone one here actually done this: recovered an old mirror image (from any program) then used FDISR to recover an up-to-date Snapshot from an Archive.

Any other advice that might work would be welcome, thanks.

Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Short answer is absolutely will.

For test purposes I've..

1. Done a format and clean windows install. Then done clean install of FDISR. Then restored secondary archive to make a secondary snapshot, like I had before. Booted to the secondary snapshot, and restored a primary archive over the clean windows install. Presto, system was like it was before.

2. I've done what you've asked about many times.

3. Actually converted a Vista setup, back to XP by restoring a FDISR archive.

Not too bad.

Pete

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Worked beautifully, Peter, thanks. First I did one final update of a FirstDefense Archive Snapshot so I would have a current system to eventually restore to. Then I used Shadow Protect to restore an image that I created last April. This was the very first time that I had ever used SP on this system. Then I used FirstDefense to update the old Primary Snapshot created last April to the fully up-to-date one that I had created before starting all of this. Worked beautifully, nothing succeeds like success. :cool:

Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Your welcome Acadia. No doubt FDISR, is in a league by itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.