Advice for security setup...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kuroudo Akabane, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuroudo Akabane

Kuroudo Akabane Registered Member

Ok, so I'm very new to computers and I'm using a HP 110 Mini netbook with the 32bit version of Windows XP Home...

I have the Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates turned on...

I just want to know what program(s) 1 to 3 I should have running to keep my system safe and how I should configure them so they don't interfere with each other.

Sorry to the posters who've replied already... but I need more details.

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I also have 32bit version of Windows XP Home but on a desktop.
    My personal favorite (and quite secure) setups include...........

DefenseWall Personal Firewall + Shadow Defender
    or
    AppGuard + Sandboxie (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=314929&highlight=appguard sandboxie)
    or
    Malware Defender + Sandboxie

But being new to computers you may prefer an AV.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you are new to computers, nothing anyone here is telling you is going to help you if you are using the normal admin account. Everything either leaves your admin account open to exploit, or it is simply too involved for a new user to truly use correctly.

If you are indeed very new to it all, just do yourself a favor and learn how to use LUA properly. That will solve most issues, it is not very complicated and it is free.

Otherwise, you have a long road ahead of you in learning about all these advices being given. I am not putting those advices down, they are fine, just a beginner doesn't understand what is being told in these advices is all.

Sul.

4. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

If you are new to computers then AV would be enough.

For free AV you can't go wrong with Avast or Microsoft Security Essential.
    For paid I would choose ESET or Norton.

Either way you can add HitmanPro and Malwerbytes as on demand scanners and scan your computer occasionally.

For browsing use Firefox or Google Chrome and add Adblock Plus extension to each.

When you get more familiar with computer you can start adding additional layers of security: sandboxing, HIPS...

5. Kuroudo Akabane

Kuroudo Akabane Registered Member

I was going to use the Admin account for downloads and maintance and the User account for normal internet surfing.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You are starting off well then. Next will be how well you understand the use of any security related program that is not a scanner, should you decide to use them. As for scanners, they are pretty easy so long as they remain updated properly.

I would also advise a systematic approach to checking your downloaded files prior to running them. For example, suppose you were to use a scanner that is on-demand only. Make it a habit to scan downloaded files prior to executing. This may not be as critical from trusted sources (like MS updates etc) but from sources you cannot place trust upon, just one more way to protect yourself before you execute something with admin rights.

Developing your set of protocols and sticking to them can go a long way to preventing problems, at least it does for me.

Sul.

7. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Kuroudo Akabane, just wanted to let you know that Sully's advice is worth listening to. He got me headed in the right direction when I didn't have a clue and showed up here a couple of years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.