Advice for new user

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pearlyshells, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pearlyshells

pearlyshells Registered Member

I have a Small Business Server 2003. I want the ability to bring up a new server in case I have a failure of that primary server. I am thinking I could create a full backup of the primary and store it externally to a hard drive. Then, if I lose my primary I could restore that backup to a bare metal new server. From what I've read, TrueImageEcho for Small Business Server will do this. Is that correct? Also, do I install TrueImage on the primary Small Business Server or should I install it onto a workstation that is connected to my Small Business Domain and perform the backup remotely...and, if I lose that server I would remotely restore the image onto the new Bare Metal Server?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I'm not familiar with server setups, but whatever you do, in order to do a bare metal restore, you have to use the bootable True Image Rescue CD - so you need to make this CD now, and test that it will see where you have the backup stored (or intend to store it).

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pearlyshells,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Corporate Products

You are correct, you should use Acronis True Image for Microsoft Windows Small Business Server

If the new server has the same hardware, you will be able to restore the archive and boot into the operating system. If you want to recover the archive to a dissimilar hardware, you should use Acronis Universal Restore.

Acronis Universal Restore provides an efficient solution for restoration of a hardware-independent system by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. In the case of motherboard and CPU change the replacement of the crucial HAL is necessary. Acronis Universal Restore is an optional program feature.

You can use the program locally or remotely. It depends upon your wish. You can install the local version to the server and manage the tasks locally, or you can install Acronis Management Console to another computer and manage the tasks remotely.

The program allow you to create Recovery CD to get the access to the archive in the case of system crash and to restore it to a new hard drive or to a new computer remotely.

I can suggest you to download the trial version available here

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

4. g4hlr

g4hlr Registered Member

Hi,

I have successfully deployed two new "bare metal" servers using True Image Echo Enterprise Server Power Edition. Made several mistakes as a "newbie" and ended up "losing licenses". That is my biggest gripe along with the useless manuals! Support team is usually excellent and got me out of trouble ok. I ended up using the "bootable" recovery media method. Works great. You create the bootable CD. Boot the old server to that and backup the image to somewhere you can get at...network storage, externals etc. Then boot the new server using the CD, pick up the image and use recovery with Universal Restore. Ignore ANY AND ALL COMMENTS you might get here or anywhere that it's not critical about getting the drivers right and you can load them afterwards when you boot the new server. IT WON'T BOOT so you can't!!!!!!

The only problem I have is trying to do the same with Workstation and Universal Restore to a Toshiba laptop. It doesn't work. I note that others have had the same problem and no solution to this appears so far. We all fall over with the PCI\VEN driver problem. Toshiba, (bless them), do their driver downloads in self-executing files so they can't be "got at" without installing them to a machine. Even then, Acronis doesn't seem to find them. So, consequently, the damn thing won't boot properly...not to Safe Mode, sick mode or any mode! After a solid week of trying I've given up and have manually copied everything over as it was more cost effective. Only reason I keep trying was because I have to deploy several Toshiba Laptops for the Management Team.

My servers were IBM system x 3400 series by the way and IBM still supply all the drivers with the new servers. Unlike Acronis, IBM's legendary customer support is now crap.....I'm still waiting with an open case number since Christmas, ( so much for three working days server support!!!).

So, yes the Acronis system does work. Pity the manuals are so poor for beginners. Step by step examples would be good....please Acronis!

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello g4hlr,

Please let us investigate the issue and do the following:

Let us know the build number of the product, which you can find in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 3 or 4 digit number).

Please provide us with the exact text of error during the boot (if any), among with the the exact sequence of actions that lead to the issue you report, so that we can reproduce it.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.