Advice after internet cafe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by RobOK, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

I was recently traveling in Italy and had to use an Internet cafe. Their wireless didn't work, and I was pretty desperate, so I unplugged one of their machines and plugged in my laptop. I was and am running v3 of NOD32. No alerts or anything and I have done a scan since then.

What are the chances that I have some sort of Rootkit or Botnet or something running on my machine?

Is there anything additional I can or should do to scan my machine?

I have some weird slowdowns but nothing that strange (Vista).

As a side note, I do a lot on the internet and only run AV software and don't pay too much attention and I have NEVER gotten a virus hit. I always wonder if there is something lurking. People say viruses are so rampant in Windows, but I never see any (knock on wood) in anyone that i deal with over many years. Are all these viruses and bots hitting people that don't run ANY AV software?

Thanks for any advice ,

Rob.

2. Rapid Dr3am

Rapid Dr3am Registered Member

Rootkit revealer is always best for looking for rootkits.

Do you have UAC enabled? Any prompts on connecting to the new network?

There is always a risk, depends how their network is configured. My network is set to push an update to each machine to bring it inline with my group policy.

Some corporates, have set file systems that a machine will go to upon connection so any unknown devices will get wiped and loaded from an image.

When working with IBM, my building got shutdown when someone plugged an iPod into their machine as it was an unknown device, so there are so many things that can happen.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You really should upgrade to Ess if you have a lap top or are you using the vista firewall.

4. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

On Rootkit Revealer -- thanks for the tip.

On ESS... yes, using Vista Firewall or Windows Firewall on other XP machines.

Thanks for the replies...

Rob.

5. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I cannot see how using a public wireless network should be any safer then a public network using a cable.
    If your Windows is updated and using a firewall i wouldn't worry at all unless you did visit some sites you believe could contain some malicious code, downloaded some stuff you don't trust and stuff like that, but this has nothing to do with the public network at the internet cafe and could happen anywhere.

6. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

Good point, I guess the type of connection, physical vs. wireless is irrelevant, it was just memorable as it was annoying.

What was even more memorable was the 10 Italian men playing some fast moving card game and yelling at each other and pushing their chairs around! When one of them was not in the hand, he'd stare at me with an "evil eye"... LOL.

Thanks for the reply.

7. mongatu

mongatu Registered Member

You should also be using a good 3rd party firewall in addition to EAV. I don't recommend ESS, but even that would be better than running with just the Vista firewall. Comodo Firewall Pro is a good free firewall program that works with EAV quite well.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ RobOK,

Given this is the Eset Support forum and the Rootkit revealer discussion would be off topic to this forums purpose, I have taken the liberty to move your post to a thread of it's own in a more appropriate forum for further discussion.

new Rootkit revealer thread---> Can anyone recommend a Rootkit revealer for Vista

9. RobOK

RobOK Registered Member

No problem, I agree with you.

My original thought in posting the thread was to ask if there was any special scan I should do with NOD32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.