"Advanced Process Termination"

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by SpiritWind, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Registered Member

:D Never knew these products existed prior to using the Wilder's forums;
    I visited the www.diamondcs.com.au site and saw the "Free" program
    "Advanced Process Termination" and wondered how it differs from
    "Process Guard" ?
    And if you do not mind, what does "RegistryProt" do that differs from
    the many "registry" products I see mentioned in various forums ?
    I assume "OpenPorts" does the same thing as grc.com's "Shields Up" !?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Advanced Process Termination, actually kills process's by many different methods. Process Guard prevents the termination from killing the process. It is in effect a test program to see Process Guard in action.

Pete

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

If I can let a cat out of the bag, a new release of APT is basically ready to go. A couple new termination methods are available as well as 2 Crash functions, where - you guessed it - the target process is intentionally crashed. The result is the same - the target process is terminated, but this is a somewhat unorthodox (albeit equally effective) way of achieving that objective.

All of these new methods were created after the last release of ProcessGuard, but PG already protects against all of them - no real surprises there though.

4. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I wish there were a quick fix solution for "frozen" desktop other than the computer's reset button. I can't use APT if my cursor won't move.

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

lynchknot, a frozen desktop is usually caused by explorer.exe. Terminating that process and restarting it will typically restore your desktop.

6. lynchknot

It's a rare occasion but is realized when I "multitask" with several "large" apps. There is no possible solution, as far as I know, when absolutely nothing responds but the computer's reset button. How can I terminate the process when I can't send a termination command? An app that could detect a frozen state and terminate explorer automatically and reset would be great! There's a few occasions when time will heal but I have left the computer and returned 4 hours later to find it still in the same frozen state.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  7. Wayne - DiamondCS

Whatever is causing your hanging, it isn't APT. The behaviour you're describing isn't normal - you should be able to multitask with several large apps without any problems, so if your system is hanging as a result of that then something else is wrong. The system event log may give a hint, but either way you wouldn't really want to be running a program 24/7 simply to keep an eye on explorer.exe.

If you're using NT/2000/XP then when explorer.exe does crash you can typically just hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to invoke a menu which allows you to start Task Manager, from there you can terminate explorer.exe as well as restart it.

8. lynchknot

I think the problem begins when I'm in a hurry and I click "enter" for several apps in quick succession - apps then compete and there's a "lockup" (that is purely a guess from lack of knowledge but my only description of when this occurs)
    You say it isn't normal and I agree - everything including the cursor is locked up and explorer does not crash. As I stated, it's a rarity but nevertheless a reality from time to time. I guess that's why there's a reset button. Too bad we can't reset without having to reboot and lose data in memory.

Thank you Wayne for your responses and instruction.

*edit -
    I have the app "tray monitor" for the sole purpose of restoring all my tray icons IF explorer crashes. It has another function to hide tray icons but I don't use it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.