Advance Disk Cloning?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mack27, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mack27

Mack27 Registered Member

Any of the Acronis products available today that can manage a clone procedure from original disk to DVD-R perhaps? I mean i don't really want to keep a spare harddrive around just for an image that i took from my original. I mean is there anyway of cloning/imaging a drive and have the image file small enough to fit on a DVD-R/Dual Layer maybe? I've tried Workstation and Home Edition of Acronis version 9 and no luck with what i'm trying to do. I really hope this can be done because i remember doing something like this on Image Cast (Another Image Software) that would be probably much better then using Acronis in my opinion. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Note: So i'm trying to make a bootable Acronis True Image utility with the image file on there, so all i need to do is pop in the DVD-R/CD-R and have it reimage my drive again instead of hooking up another drive that has the image and booting with the Emergency CD-ROM and blah blah blah. This can't be done can it? :(

I found this under Acronis True Image Workstation 9 version info...what is this...?
    Create CDs with bootable images, PXE packages, and bootable recovery media ISOs

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

There is a topic here that explains how to do that, but "it ain't easy". Search the topics ... I don't remember offhand which it is.

Here's the thread ... someone just posted a reply to it so it is just above your topic, LOL.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=48186

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  3. Mack27

Mack27 Registered Member

Well, i just found it anyway, thanks! Not sure what you mean by "not easy"? Everything is easy if you put your mind to it! :)

4. Chutsman

Well, to me is seems that you have to be more than "part Geek" to be able to jump through the hoops required to do the DVD bootable thing.

Let us know if you succeed.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Chutsman,

The UltraISO procedure I detailed in Post #171 of that thread (as amended in Post #256 to take into account TI Home Build 3567) isn't really all that Geeky. A couple of temporary subdirectories, a little dragging and dropping of files and a few mouse clicks is all that's required. Compared to creating a PartPE + TI plugin disk, it's a walk in the park :).

Kind regards

6. Chutsman

Fortunately I don't want to or need to use DVDs in that manner and I'm sure I can do the procedure, but my grey matter has more things to tend to. :D :D

And, to me, external hard drives are the better way to go for image backups.

7. willhank

willhank Registered Member

Chutsman:

I, like you, store my image files on an external HD but Acronis says I can't activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager from that location. I'm using TI 9.0 which I purchased on cd (build 2,323). Is there any way to get around that problem if I have problems booting up?

Willhank

8. Chutsman

Willhank, are you booting TI from within Windows or from the bootable TI cd? Whichever one it is, try the other.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

It has been a long time since I last used Startup Recovery Manager, but I hope this will be correct anyway.

To be able to use SRM, you should create a Secure Zone (of minimal size if it's just for SRM sake) on the system disk and activate SRM. F11 should then start the SRM and from the rescue environment so invoked, you select the image you want to restore, wherever it resides - the external HD in your case.

10. willhank

willhank Registered Member

bVolk:

I tried your method instead of the one Chutsman suggested since my TI won't burn a bootable cd, and it worked great. Now I just have to figure out how to get my cd operational. Thanks, all.

Willhank

11. Mack27

Mack27 Registered Member

Update: Fully operations DVD+R bootables....

Okay, I followed "Wdormann" posts on how to image your drive onto DVD-RW and it worked well. I'm very happy with the results, but there is just couple of things people need to be aware of. When you do copy your .TIB files over just make sure you copy the last one onto the first DVD since it will get you into DVD switching loop at the beginning which i found very annoying. I used "Wdormann" way since i couldn't find a BCDW with the files, "bcdwboot.in or bootcat.ini" at the root of the directory. So i couldn't use "Menorcaman" way since i've looked everywhere for different version for BCDW and still couldn't find those two files that you'll need in the Bootable DVD before burning.
    Yes, this was very very easy, like i said before, do not get discouraged if you read something once and can't understand it. So i have two DVD+R's that i can use now to image my 74GB Raptor to the image that i had before fully working with all the things i need as well. Thank you so much for your suggestions and input, but the most thank you goes to the two genious we have in this forum, you know who you are! :p

12. Menorcaman

Re: Update: Fully operations DVD+R bootables....

Hi Mach27,

Did you download the multilingual version bcdw150z_en.zip from the <Wolfgang-Brinkman web site>? I've just done so and the two files you refer to are definitely contained in that zip file as they always have been. See screenshot below of unzipped contents of bcdw150z_en.zip.

Regards

Attached Files:

13. Mack27

Mack27 Registered Member

LOL!!!!!!! Damn i was on that site too and tried downloading from one of those sources, but no go! Either i'm blind or just had no luck man! I swear i looked for those files and i see it in there now, damn! Thanks for pointing that out to me, hehe.

14. Menorcaman

No need to beat yourself up too much as the Wolfgang-Brinkman site could make it a little more obvious as to which Bootable CD Wizard file is which :p :).

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.