ADSL Router + Microsoft Security Essentials- ? more

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Yegvardd, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yegvardd

Yegvardd Registered Member

Hi Folks

Following an Op Sys crash, unrelated, I have been set up with a BT Voyager 220v router and Microsoft Security Essentials. Do I need anything else to be secure, please?

I used to have the Avira Premium Security Suite and an old BT Speedtouch modem. Could I add the Avira 2010 version to the Voyager and ditch Microsoft?

Thanks

Mike

2. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I don't know the features of the specific router, but I guess you connect via ethernet and the router has inbound protection.

If you could tell us your OS, could help.

In any case, check the firewall forum here at wilders to find answers on how to use efficiently the native OS firewall and/or if you need additional 3rd party firewall.

Now about the antivirus part. Avira performs better than MSE in detecting malware.

My opinion: Keep your Avira suite( or just buy the Avira AV) and disable the firewall. Then use another 3rd party firewall free or paid ( suggestions Online Armor free/paid, Comodo with D+ and without their AV ).

If you don't want to spend any money: MSE+OA free, Avira free + OA free
    Use Malwarebytes antimalware(free) as on demand scanner.

3. Yegvardd

Yegvardd Registered Member

Thanks NoIos

Yes you are right about the Ethernet and In-bound packet protection. OS is Windows XP, SP3. MalwareBytes is already my occasional scanner.

I will give the firewall forum a bell

Mike

4. Less

Less Registered Member

you can keep your Avira Premium Security Suite ....
    such a waste not to use....

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I wouldn't be too hasty in dissmissing 135/137/139 ports as a means of attack, or ANY for that matter. As you can see from my screenie, there they are. This is happening on and off every few minutes, every day, along with ALL the other varied port attempts.

13579.gif

Notice also port 23 Telnet being targetted. Even though it's not active on my comp, on some peoples it is, and should also be blocked, unless of course you use it.

It makes sense to block ALL ports that you don't use, then nobody unauthorised can get in. I think that's a much better solution, but it's up to others what their prioties are, or not.

As i presume you're in the UK, if that 220v in BT Voyager 220v router is supposed to mean 220 Volts, it should 230 Volts since all EU countries electricity supply was harmonised a number of years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.