AdShield!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TonyKlein, Jun 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I dont know whether much has been said about AdShield at this board, but I am thrilled by this little gem!

After ditching NIS, I was looking for another way of blocking Ads, banners and popups.

I checked out AdSubtract Pro, Guidescope, Naviscope, Proxomitron, WebWasher and a number of others.

Finally, I settled on a combination of Meaya's Popup Ad Filter and AdShield (for banners and ads), but at first I kept wondering why absolutely all popups were blocked, even those that NIS used to be unable to handle, while at the same time Meaya's log didn't show any entries.

Well, you guessed it: AdShield blocked it all.

I love that program, and it's freeware as well.
    I also like the fact that it acts like a browser plugin, and that there are no proxies to configure.

I can only advise anyone interested to check it out: http://www.adshield.org/

There's a board at Becky's as well.

Cheers, Tony

2. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

And Proxo didn't? Don't exclude it because you have used its default filters. That is why I publish my ZXList and its so damn popular... it blocks everything, and I mean everything. It even creates extra stuff for you to check your IMs, etc.

3. TonyKlein

Hi Zhen-Xjell,

I didn't actually try out all programs I mentioned.

I have no doubt that Proxo can and will block everything you'd ever care to block, but I was really looking for something that would do what I wanted without having to deal with a steepish learning curve.

I'm not saying I'm never going to try it; just that AdShield for now really satisfies my demands.

4. snowman

snowman Guest

Definitely AdShield is a very fine program.....but its certainly is not to be compared with a proxy......not any of the proxies listed above.....
    an yes I HAVE TRYED THEM....using AdShield in conjuction with a proxy works very well.....complimenting each other....
    block lists are essential.....Adshield does not come out the box with a built-in block list....there are however numerous lists that can be added......an of course you can make your own list..........
    Certainly Adshield is a most worthwhile program...I would suggest its use .....an its improving......but no one should be mis-led into thinking it will replace a proxy.

snowman

5. snowman

snowman Guest

Zhen

Paul after a recent os crash..I quickly needed a replacement list for my proxies....so went to your site...off hand I can't recall which link it was...but one of the links you list will also lead to a block list for adshield.....
    my computer will be off the air in a few days so excuse me please for not finding the link...right now I'm rushing to finish business matters before disconnection next week

snowman

6. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

I have to agree adshield is an outstanding app iv been using it for quite some time i was so impressed that i also left a post about it on the spyblocker forum at the time the only forum i had signed up for it works flawlessley in conjuction with blocking programs like spyblocker and proximatron etc it may not beable to replace proxies but id does an out standing job of cleaning up my surfing and coz i dont have to load thoughs resause hoging ads my surfin is faster cant wait to see what the autha has in store for his next version

7. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I must also agree that AdShield is probably easiest to configure, and works VERY well for blocking banners and pop-ups.

Proxo offers many more features, but the cost of learning how to configure it is much more for the average computer user. Using both programs together provides me with a good level of protection and blocking.

MickeyTheMan: Thanks for the link to the preconfigured list! :) I hadn't found one before, and had previously given people my list, hoping that it would get them started.

-javacool

9. TonyKlein

That's what I mean: that's what I installed it for, after all...

Right now I'm really taking to configuring firewall rules and figuring all that out.
    I'm also looking towards installing TDS-3, because it does tempt me, but I don't want to do everything at once...

Proxo's time will come, I'm sure... :D

10. Grummy

Grummy Registered Member

The big advantage Ad Shield has is that NO PROXY is required. Makes surfing faster. The program ought to win an award in MHO.

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Everyone please note: AdShield only works with the IE browser:

"Requirements

The only requirement for using AdShield is version 5 or higher of Microsoft® Internet Explorer running on the Microsoft Windows® operating system. Note that AdShield will not interfere with the use of other browsers you may have installed, but it won't block ads in them either. " Pete

12. controler

controler Guest

Has anyone found a site that will host a proxy server for you to browse through cheaper than 50 bucks?
    The only company I have seen so far that hosts an ananamous proxy sever was that name you don't like emntioned here. The lockdown crew.
    Appears the safest way to surf IS through one of those services, isn't it?

ooopsss here we go with the proxy server thread again LOL :p

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

14. controler

controler Guest

JAP Looks Promising :) Kinda like a P2P network in that everybody becomes a MIXER?
    WIll have to check it out

Thanks

15. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.