ADS streams in kav

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yodafan, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodafan

yodafan Guest

What's so bad about ADS streams? everyone seems to want to remove them... can someone enlighten me cuz i'm lost...i know they make a imprint of ur files but makes the scanning process faster, so why delete the streams?

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi yodafan, ;)

DiamondCS has a very nice write up on ADS Streams and their Security Risks - http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=archive&id=ntfs-streams

I've C&P'd a portion of that page here for you, but do read all the info provided by DCS, it is quite interesting.
    Steve

3. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

It's more of an issue of KAV not deleting them when you uninstall it. A lot of users want everything to be removed when they uninstall. Most of the time, it doesn't really have any side-effects that I am aware of.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

and there is a ads uninstaller for this purpose i have used it and it works very well. it is a command line program. get it in the kav forum (im sorry but dont have the exact link). it works great used it to uninstall kav then to install nod.
    it is called stream remover.

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

For me, KAV ADS was a pain when I was running other AT programs, such as rootkit detectors or TDS-3, which kept getting confused by the KAV's ADS. Even after I uninstalled KAV 5.0 PRO, and ran several of the ADS removal utilities, there still were ADS left behind that were associated with system files. Finally, I did a full image restore and re-installed KAV 4.5.

As far as I am concerned, the whole KAV 5.0 line is an architectural disastor, and I am not surprised they are leaving it behind with a revamped 6 version sans ADS and hopefully a decent design (e.g. a reasonable differentiation between Personal and Pro editions). At least Kaspersky knows a bad idea when they see it. BTW, there is no way to keep KAV 5.0 from creating ADS since the "switch" is only available after KAV 5.0 PRO is installed. For some unfathomable reason this is different from KAV Personal which does have an option at install time to kill the ADS facility. What a mess. If heads didn't roll on this one - someone was awfully lucky.

Rich

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you can turn them off upon install if you check the box at the beginning it asks you to enable istreams or icheckers or to disable them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.