Adobe Reader vs Win 8 Reader security-wise

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by vincenzo, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

I've been using the Windows 8 pdf Reader app instead of installing Adobe Reader. While Adobe Reader gets updated fairly frequently, it seems like there has only been one update to the Windows 8 Reader app. Does anyone know if Reader is vulnerable to the exploits that keep dogging Adobe Reader? Or do exploits need to be written specifically targeting Win 8 Reader? I've not read anything that indicates people have been targeting it yet.

Thanks

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No the Windows 8 reader app is not vulnerable to those exploits, furthermore it is sandboxed using AppContainer.

Adobe reader has a lot more features than the Windows 8 reader, but a lot of those features are debatably useless to a majority of people. I'd recommend sticking with the Windows reader unless there is a feature you're missing.

Of note is that there's also an "Adobe Reader Touch" app for Windows 8, I have not personally tried it.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

OK thanks. I've just done some reading on AppContainer, that seems like a real improvement, if it works as intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.