Adobe Reader 9 Now Available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lucas1985, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I installed Adobe 9 here on 2k3 and to my surprise, it seems to load faster than 8 did. I like it. I can't complain, even if it does suck up tons of disk space.... :)

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

THat's for Win 9x.

3. Howard Kaikow

FYI, there are no guarantees.

I recently encountered a PDF document that would not display properly, if at all with Adobe Reader 8.1.2, but displayed properly with Acrobat 5.

I'm just not going to install ADobe rEader 9 along with its bloatware acrobat.com and Adode air.

THere are 3 Adobe Reader 9 files at the Adobe FTP site, I expect that at least one of them does not include the bloatware, but how to find out?

4. Howard Kaikow

IGNORE the above.

The link was correct, e.g.:English versions.

There are 4 files listed.
    I expect that some do not include the crapware.
    anybody know where the differences are documented?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont if its documented, though someone did ask about it on the Adobe Forums.

AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe doesnt have acrobat.com or Adobe Air.

AdbeRdr90_en_US.exe does have them.

6. Howard Kaikow

THanx.

I'll download the Std critter.

7. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

8. Howard Kaikow

9. prius04

Howard,

I found these conflicting reports so annoying that I went ahead and downloaded and installed the en_US_Std.exe version myself.

I can now state, unequivocally, that I see no evidence of AIR, the eBay Desktop, nor a link to Acrobat.com......only Adobe Reader 9 appears in the CP (size being 204MB) under Add/Remove.

Hope this helps.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

And just why would anyone in their right mind even exert the effort to try to figure out which version of Adobe is not bloated, crapified, or somehow more or less than the previous version? Just why and how is that the responsibility of a customer?

Adobe Reader is GONE from my PC.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I was thinkin' it, you said it. I finally dumped it for 15MB PDF X-Change. I like it. o_O

13. prius04

Personally, I thought I'd give Adobe one more shot after someone posted the link to the ftp site in the hopes that there actually *was* a version that was not bloated and crapified. No such luck, though, as even the "lighter" version consumed 204MB of disk space. BTW, never did claim to be in my right mind. :D

Ditto........GONE! However, I now find that I need *two* alternative products; Foxit and PDF XChange Viewer. For some reason, I can't get PDF XChange to print PDFs properly without a lot of futzing around while Foxit prints just fine but has no Firefox plug-in as of yet (ironic, considering the name).

14. WSFuser

@prius04 - Have you tried Adobe Reader Lite? It only consumes 50MB of disk space.

15. Howard Kaikow

In my case, my Vista notebook came with Reader 8.1, and it has an eBay icon on the desktop.

In addition, there's an "Online Services" directory that has lots of crap.
    The only thing I see there that is listed in uninstall programs is "My hP Games". At some point, I want to learn how to get rid of that crap

16. Howard Kaikow

Calling PDF, or anything else, an ISO standard is often smoke and mirrors.

I had a consulting gig a few years ago, which required me to read the PDF spec. It was not well written, and this just results in incompatible implementations.

Could be that the spec was cleaned up prior to approval by ISO, but I doubt it, too much ego sunk into the doc.

In a real business environment one does need Adobe Reader and the higher end PDF creation/editing products, but for most of us mere mortals, we do not need Adobe products.

For those of us having no need for Adobe products, let our money do the talking by buying non-Adobe products.

And some impleentors are sloppier than others. As I pointed out in these forums, I used PrimoPDF to print PDF and immediately found that it cannot handle paths/filenames that include a space character. There's just no excuse for such an error.

17. AKAJohnDoe

My Vista notebook came with a lot of boatware installed, too. I removed it all. I do not have software I do not use. This is everything I have on my PC:
    • Adobe
      • Adobe Bridge 1.0
      • Adobe Flash Player Plugin
      • Adobe Photoshop CS2
    • Canon
      • Canon Utilities EOS Utility
      • Canon Utilities PhotoStitch
    • CCleaner
    • eWallet 6.1 Professional Edition (Windows Mobile & Windows PC)
    • FeedGhost
    • FileZilla Client 3.0.11
    • iWatermark 3.0.4
    • Java(TM) 6 Update 7
    • ListPro 5.0 (Windows Mobile & Windows PC)
    • Macecraft jv16 PowerTools 2008
    • Microsoft
      • Office 2007
      • Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin
      • Windows Mobile Device Center
    • Mozilla Firefox (3.0)
    • Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 Personal
    • PerfectDisk 2008 Professional
    • Quicken 2001 Deluxe
    • Tracker Software PDF-XChange PDF Viewer
    • ZoneAlarm Anti-virus

Free Titles are Green
    Cost Titles are Blue

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  18. AKAJohnDoe

In all honesty, I have not yet tried printing a PDF since uninstalling Adobe Reader. I rarely do, anyway. But that could be an issue.

19. Howard Kaikow

I also have an HP system.
    Where did you find instructions on how to delete the suff in the OnLine Services directory?

Does HP have an article on how to do this?

20. AKAJohnDoe

Most of it is stand-alone. Simply deleting the directories under PROGRAM FILES and deleting the shortcuts in the start menu does 90% of it. If you are really a neatnik (I am) you can cleanse the registry.

There's some good threads on http://forum.notebookreview.com about cleaning up HP notebooks. Search on keywords like HP BLOATWARE. The kids over there will insist that the only way to do it right is by a clean install, which of course is better, but not the only way.

Be sure you have a good restorable backup before starting!

BTW, Vista places stuff in \PROGRAM FILES\, \PROGRAM DATA\, and under the \APPDATA\LOCAL\ and \APPDATA\ROAMING\ subdirectories under the USER directory. Some only shows up in the registry via RUN, but most of that can be found via MSCONFIG or some third party utilities.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  21. prius04

Thank you for the suggestion and, yes, I had Reader Lite installed on one of my machines.

It may have no basis in reality, but I'm sort of concerned about security issues; it doesn't appear as if that version will be updated on a regular basis. Other than that, it worked fine. I'd still like to have only one reader on my machine, though.

22. prius04

Well, according to one of the support folks at Tracker, they're furiously working on a rewrite of their print output method which is purportedly to be incorporated in the next release.

At that point, I'll probably just buy Viewer Pro since, other than the printing issue, it works quite well for my purposes.

23. WSFuser

It is kept updated though it may take a couple days before being released.

Why would you need more than one reader? Just uninstall other reader and keep Adobe Reader Lite.

24. prius04

The short story is that I simply need a bit more functionality than Reader offers. Acrobat is probably overkill for my purposes but Reader doesn't do much more than allow users to read and print PDFs.

25. Howard Kaikow

Because 1 reader may not be able to read everything.

I recently encountered a PDF that could not be read by Reader 8.1.2, but could be read by Acrobat 5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.