Adobe pdf's in linux - nothing but shocking

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

In Firefox 16.02 the pdf's are unable to open within the browser (64 bit OS).
    One can only save them to disc.
    In chrome 23 they will open in a new window (provided the built in pdf viewer is disabled).

Totally useless if one needs acroread for certain tasks like efiling my tax online. How am I supposed to complete interactive form field entries, save them onsite for later adjustments and submit them, if all I can do is download the pdf with Firefox :mad:
    Fortunately there is a flash option as well otherwise I would have to purchase Windows. :oops:
    The reader used to be OK in older Firefox versions. With SeaMonkey on SL I can view the pdf's in the browser.

I heard that if you install acroread (which is 32 bit) on a 32 bit system it should open the pdf's in the browser. I tried that in Xubuntu 12.04 (32 bit), but it didn't work - something about the environment path variable needing to be set.

The preferences menu in Kubuntu 12.04 is also messed. Screenshot section ..

acroread.jpg

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

PDF opens fine in Google Chrome here with Ubuntu 12.01 12.10 Kubuntu and Xubuntu x32 and x64 versions here.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, I know, but does it open the pdf with adobe reader in the browser or just in a new window ?

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

New window.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

The reason I couldn't open pdf's inside the browser with Firefox is due to apparmor. (I think there was an apparmor related update not so long ago).
    Well, now I know. For the rare occasions that I need to the adobe reader to open inside the browser, I will briefly disable apparmor.

Edit: Above refers to 32 bit OS. Disabling apparmor in Kubuntu 64 bit OS will only open the pdf in a new window in Firefox.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK, I have found the solution.
    To get adobe reader pdf's displayed within the browsers, you can use mozplugger. Apparmor needs to be temporarily disabled in Firefox.

For Kubuntu, you can use either mozplugger or kpartsplugin. The kpartsplugin will open Okular within the browsers.

mozplugger.jpg kparts.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.