Adobe Flash: Insecure, outdated, and here to stay

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Google should stop supporting flash videos on Youtube and flash will be history. It's not as bad as it was years ago when every site had flash content which made your CPU go nuts.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The fact is Google has increased its use of flash on YouTube to the point that opting into the HTML5 trial is nearly useless. You'll be lucky if one in 30 videos is displayed using the HTML5 player. Previously it was around 50% of videos.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

It's all bloatware of late as many are not able via IE and Firefox to update via the normal method.

Attached Files:

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Did anyone keep track of the size of the previous Flash versions ?

6. siljaline

7. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

In a very long help file:
    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
    is section "Progress bar hangs during download / Unable to connect to server / Unable to download metafile"
    In it are two links to installer - for activeX and plugin. No bloat, no chrome, no mcafee security, no toolbars.
    I used it on XP about a week ago. Not sure how they knew it was XP, suspect they used user-agent or something like it. Flash now works in IE as well as Opera and SeaMonkey for youtube, so I'm pretty sure is ok to use.
    The sizes are about 16-17 meg.

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
  9. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Well, that's one thing. Another is VEVO videos require flash player. Just plain annoying.

10. siljaline

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It's sad, almost everything is becoming bloatware.

I'm tempted to stop updating Flash. On the other hand, Kaspersky's revelation ('MASK') may be a reason to make an exception.

Newer is not better.

12. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

I have removed Flash. I don't use it for anything serious/necessary -> goodbye.

13. MrBrian

14. MrBrian

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  15. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I didn't know you even still had the option to use the HTML5 player. I thought that had long ago been abandoned as an attempt to get HTML5 "mainstream". Youtube hardly matters anymore anyway. Unless you enjoy watching people livestream their gaming sessions or long for the return of true music videos, there is little point to the site. On the subject of Flash itself, Adobe needs to get their ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ straight and get the updater working properly. It's not that shocking that millions of users are running with outdated Flash players when the only damned reliable way of getting updates without hassle is by using Chrome.

Now that I look back on it years later, Steve Jobs was right to ban Flash from his mobile devices. Adobe is a trash company. Now if we can just get webmasters all over the world to update their sites, we could be rid of it. That is the hardest part though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.