Adobe Acrobat Reader

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tradetime, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Does anyone know how to stop this thing from trying to update itself, I have looked a couple of times in the preferences and can find no mention of updating to turn the damn thing off. At the moment I have my firewall set to block it. Really annoying. Thanx. Version 8 btw

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Open Reader, Select Help, then Check For Updates. You should get a screen that has "Preferences" on it, click that and uncheck the Automatically Check. It might work.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Tradetime

What I've is install Foxit Reader, and I have OA(you can use SSM) block anything Adobe from auto starting. Something like a browser can still start it if needed. This works particularily well if you use Sandboxie, as when you are done with the browswer you can kill everything in the sandbox.

Pete

4. tradetime

Got it, nice one thanx, would never have found that.

5. tradetime

Thanx Peter will look at that as well.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

If you find this annoying, you should see what CS3 (latest Photoshop) installs...:D
    A service (Bonjour stuff), and a bunch of 'helpers' (like Adobe Bridge stuff).
    But I nevertheless very much like Adobe applications. Foxit is very fast and simple, but I had problems with opening/rendering pages on several occasions, so I don't have full confidence in it. After all, PDF is Adobe's invention.

That said, both suggestions by CatFan432 and Peter2150 are viable, although I prefer the first one. You don't really need updates for Reader, and I don't like to use my firewall for blocking my processes, as this is not really what a firewall should be used for. An unneeded process should be stopped at the source (disabled from starting at all). But, that's just me. ;)

Cheers. :)

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Remove it, your comp will thank you.
    Go for Foxit, 100x productivity, 100x less bloat.
    Mrk

9. tradetime

For now as per CatFan's suggestion I have been able to disable auto update. I will however look at the alternate products that have been suggested, many thanx.

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Quite true. I sometimes get the "corrupt file" response when I open some PDF documents and when running an old Adobe reader program (version 5).:gack: When opening them with version 6, all is OK.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Well, I admit that I'm Adobe admirer. I use their software (professionally) more than 15 years, as well as other competing products. But Adobe software is simply state-of-the-art. The problem with Adobe is that it was primarily designed for Mac. This is where it gets it's full potential, as Macs are graphically oriented platforms (SCSI disks, dual-cores and other stuff). PC versions of their software are actually copies of the real stuff :D

Cheers.

12. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Foxit reader is nice, I've used it, but still prefer Adobe.

I also could not get Adobe Reader 8 to stop checking for updates,
    no matter what I did. Sooo, I finally blocked adobeupdater.exe with
    Processguard.

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When i used Adobe before Foxit. I would go to program files /Adobe and find the updater files and delete them, it doesn't affect the way Adobe works it just kills the updater. Always worked for me but try at your own risk.

14. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Check you add/remove programs. Look for Adobe UpDater and delete that. Use a lightweight reader like Foxit instead.

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.