admuncher

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Infinity, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

is it a good prg? I know it for many years but never installed it but besides spyblocker, adwatch, teatimer,spywarestopper would it be any good or would it be too much?

thanx in advance.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Ad Muncher is an AD's/Popups blocker...

In my opinion, is the best in this section, very configurable, very low resources and works with any program...

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi INFINITY,

Here are some links below concerning this issue. I haven't tried Admuncher myself, but I looked at their website. It looks impressive.
    I especially like the IP Scramble feature (which sounds like some kind of IP spoofing). I would be interested to know if that feature would defeat more determined IP identifiers like the Shields Up at GRC.com.
    Adwatch besides its other important duties blocks cookies, not ads.
    Browsing without the ads is just plain fun. So no it is not too much.

I am using AdBlock. It is a free highly configurable ad blocker extension (plugin) for Firefox. It takes more to set it up, but it works great! I sifted through and tried out many different regular expression setups posted on different forums until I found what works best for me. If you are interested, I can post it (a different thread would be more appropriate).

Admuncher Ad Filtering

4. Ailric

Ailric Guest

It is not good.... IT IS GREAT!!! It uses almost no resources, kills all unwanted popups and better than 99% ads. Very easy to configure. Works with all browsers and messengers. I have used this for over 2 years and wouldn't surf without it. Just try it!

Ad-Muncher v4.53 Build 10059 beta
    http://www.admuncher.com/B-4.53.10059.exe

5. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Admuncher is AWSOME! It's kinda like the Proxomitron, but better. The ip scramble works well and the program is in general, highly configurable. Never had a crash with Admuncher and I've been running it for many months (if not close to a year). Does not slow down my broadband connection either.

6. Devinco

Hi Snook,

Does the ip scramble work at grc.com shields up so the port scanner can't tell the correct ip?
    Does it explain how it does this ip scrambling?
    It is not an external proxy like Anonymizer, which can mask your real ip, is it?

7. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I'm not Snook, but...

Ad Muncher thus far has been able to remove most privacy/security issues inherent in web browsing, but the issues of IP revealing (which allow people to find your internet service provider and your approximate geographical location) were always taken as inevitable until this option was implemented. The IP Scramble system bounces each request off sequentially rotated anonymous proxy servers (see proxy definition below). The administrators of the web sites you visit never get to see your real IP address, and if any nosy proxy administrator were to look through his log files, he would only be able to see an insignificantly small portion of your browsing (because the requests are sent through a number of different proxy servers).

8. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

I don't know this software and certainly don't want to malign it, but there is a mention of Gozilla on one of its pages (register look up, I think)

"If you have registered Ad Muncher (or Go!Zilla Ad Muncher) in the past... "

worries me slightly.

The same point was made a few months ago on http://www.spywareinfoforum.com

9. Devinco

Hi Ailric,

This is getting interesting.
    Does AdMuncher effectively provide Anonymous Web Surfing like Anonymizer or JAP?
    Does Admuncher own the rotating anonymous proxy servers?
    Is there a recurring fee to use the anonymous proxies?
    I looked on their website, but where can I learn more details about the whole IP Scramble System?

Thanks.

10. Infinity

Thanx for this great information. the Ip scrumbler would be perfect as you say. if it hides my IP adres ... I would take it I guess.

what about jrosenfelds threado_O about gozilla??

thanx

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

12. Infinity

thanx Don.

13. sard

sard Registered Member

AdMuncher doesn't seem to hide my IP address from GRC.com

I have tested the scrambling with other websites and they report a different IP every time I refresh. pcflank.com also fails to identify my correct IP address with AdMuncher scrambling enabled. Can anybody else test GRC, any ideas why it doesn't work on that site?

Apart from that I have been using AdMuncher for years to strip out ads and block pop ups. It really is a superb program :cool: (It would have to be for me to part with money for it) There are pop ups that Firefox misses http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=253831 but AdMuncher still catches them.

14. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

Hmm looks like admuncher doesn't hadle HTTPS connections? Proxomitron does if you take the relevant steps.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

16. Devinco

That's because Steve Gibson is sneaky. (in a good way) :D
    Here is an excellent thread on The Dangers of HTTPS:
    Like Justhelping said it seems like it is because of the HTTPS:.
    Using Anonymizer (external proxy) service, my real IP is not revealed to GRC.com. As people become more secure, marketers will likely abuse this HTTPS loophole more.

Firefox by itself leaves something to be desired (as far as ad blocking).
    But if you use the free AdBlock plugin with the right filter, it can be very effective.
    From what I've read (have not tried it yet), AdMuncher does look very good for ad blocking.
    Due to the HTTPS issue, it can't be considered an anonymous web surfing program like Anonymizer. Not that it was ever marketed as such.

17. Devinco

Justhelping,
    Can an internal proxy like Proxomitron (with the relevant HTTPS plugins) hide your real IP from shields up at GRC.com? I didn't think internal proxies could do that, can they?

Thanks

18. my02

my02 Guest

JakxPack for Proxomitron & Admuncher both use external proxies for IP hiding.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6800&highlight=proxomitron

Rules-type firewall will instantly generate an AMFault if you're not allowing numerous tcp connections. And theres no option to choose remote proxies with Ad Muncher scramble option. ALWAYS CHECK THE IP'S YOU ARE CONNECTING THRU!

19. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

Yes, If you do not use a remote proxy , you can't hide your ip, whether the site is using HTTPS or just normal HTTP.

You must use a remote proxy together with proxomitron. JAP is a reasonable choice to use with proxo.

If the site is using HTTPS, most softwares are designed to automatically bypass remote proxies , for good reason. Most of the time, you don't want your important passwords to bounce off another remote proxy.

Still with proxomitron it is possible, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=31087&highlight=https

20. Devinco

Justhelping,

Thanks for the info.
    This is starting to get complicated:
    How are you supposed to have your important passwords not go through the external proxies and the HTTPS ads(and other HTTPS abusers) go through the external proxy?

Also to keep it AdMuncher related:
    my02 says: Admuncher uses external proxy for IP hiding.
    sard says: AdMuncher doesn't seem to hide my IP address from GRC.com

So AdMuncher uses an external proxy but it can be bypassed using HTTPS.
    This is good if you are visting a site you trust where you need to input important passwords, but bad if the site abuses HTTPS to give you ads, tracking, etc.
    Proxomitron with special plugins and configuration can be made to conceal your real IP address from GRC.com and other HTTPS. But would you want to turn off those SSL plugins when going to trusted sites where you need to put in important passwords?
    Anonymizer does conceal your real IP address from GRC.com. Since GRC Shields Up uses HTTPS, I assume that means all HTTPS traffic including trusted sites where you input important passwords goes through Anonymizer's servers. So then I should disable Anonymizer when going to those sites?

:doubt:

21. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

You use the bypass list in Proxomitron of course while all other sites go through the remote proxy.The nice thing about proxomitron is that you can by default use proxies even through HTTPS sites , while allowing for "trusted sites" (your bank for example) for which it doesnt use the remote proxy.

For adcruncher it seems, that you have no choice. Whether you go to a HTTPS site, your ip is automatically exposed whether you want it or not. That is why I say proxo is more flexible.

Correct.

Use a bypass list in proxomitron as mentioned above.

In a word, yes.

22. Devinco

Thanks for clearing this up Justhelping. It makes sense now. :)

23. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

I am wondering how to configure the IP scrambler in AdMuncher. I tried to enable IP scrambling but I received a message that it wouldn't work since there were no "verified proxies". I then proceeded to click the 'Retrieve Test List' and now there are 30 'verified proxies'. However, when I go to the IP Scramble test page at AdMuncher.com, my remote address still shows up. What does all this mean?

By the way, I have ZoneAlarm(free) running, and when I went to the grc test page ('SheildsUP!') it says that all my ports are stealthed. Does this have anything to do with the IP? How do I stealth my remote address?

Thanx. :)

24. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I had never tried Admuncher. I didn't ever try it back when it was bundled with spyware (GoZilla's version)....this new AdMuncher is truly a very, very good program. I especially like the way it blocks those annoying floaters that normally I would have to wait to dissolve before reading the text underneath. Thanks for the suggestion! Good find!

25. Devinco

mismis29,

I can't answer about configuring IP scramble (don't have admuncher yet).
    But the stealth report at GRC is a good thing. As we discussed in the preceeding posts, Admuncher's IP Scramble does not work through the HTTPS protocol. HTTPS is connects straight to your computer's IP address bypassing the remote external proxy servers.
    Since GRC's Shields Up uses HTTPS, your real IP address will be revealed to the test regardless of IP Scramble. This is not a huge deal, because usually you don't want your HTTPS traffic (containing credit card data and other important passwords) to be passed through other servers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.