AdMuncher vs. SuperAdBlocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by firzen771, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

anyone used both of these adblockers? do they both work in x64 and how effective is each of them/ how well are they supported with updates etc. and does superadblocker support all browsers like ad muncher, if not which browsers does it support?

im trying to see which would be worth the purchase since i think they both have lifetime license options

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. Rules

Rules Registered Member

i use for several years AdMuncher on x64 based system (Vista, Seven).

So i have already tested SuperAdBlocker, but i have no feeling with it.

For AdMuncher :

- Works with lot of Browsers (Actually i use it with Chrome).
    - Several Update per day
    - Since i use it i don't remember what is a pop-up when surfing:D
    - Very Light on Resource.
    - Improve speed on the web, because no other popup come with your request
    - Fully Compatible with others security products (firewall, Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, HIPS).

Seriously AdMuncher ROCKS:thumb:

Rules.

3. guest

guest Guest

I would bet that AdMuncher is better on what it proposes to do, but I have to admit that I never tested SuperAdBlocker.

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Again, I can't comment on Superadblocker but can say that Admuncher is superb, updated at least once per week (sometimes several times) and the email support I've had from the Admuncher team has been excellent.

Superadblocker would have to be doing something extraordinarily good to better Admuncher imo.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

AdMuncher works pretty well. It's had conflicts with other programs in the past- and when it does the developer pretty much says 'tough luck'- at least that's the way it was a couple years back. Also, there was a former policy to force users to use any beta release or not get daily updates. I have not seen that policy in place in the last year or so, maybe the policy has changed? I think overall AdMuncher is pretty good although I have had issues with it with yahoo mail and sometimes Facebook. But it's priced well if you like the program.

As for SuperAdBlocker- seriously, that is crapware. There have been promises of updates for years that never come to pass. The forum for SAB is located on the SAS site and when complaints about unkept promises are made they are deleted. Just check out the SAB site and you will probably see that it looks abandoned. Stay away from SAB and if you read about any promises from the developer about future upgrades you can take them with a grain of salt. If you search Wilders you will probably see post made by the developer about a year ago again making promises of upgrades- of course that never came to pass.

Personally, I think on Firefox or Chrome there are pretty good ad blocker add ons that are available. With IE, there are different programs available- all with their good and bad attributes. There's the Simple Adblock program many people seem to like as well-
    http://simple-adblock.com/

But as for your original questions- I have use both and there really is no comparison- Ad Muncher is years ahead of SAB. I have not tried either on x64. And as far as support- AdMuncher is developed and there is an active forum for help issues whereas SAB is abandoned crapware.

6. Scoobs72

Just taken a look at Superadblocker and it does not appear to have had a program update since 1st August 2007 according to the digital signature on the file.

Contrast that with the changelog for admuncher:

http://www.admuncher.com/changelog.txt

It's no contest as far as I'm concerned.

7. firzen771

thanks for the replies everyone, its been quite helpful, now i have another question, do u guys know of any free/paid alternatives to admuncher other than proximitron? (not browser addons since im using opera and thers no good ones as of yet)

8. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Well actually Admuncher must have the record for old promises not exactly coming to life. Try search for "gzip admuncher" or "http 1.1 admuncher" :) Not really comforting, even less so since this has been an issue for years. I don't know SuperAdBlocker but at least Admuncher have maintained the updates and some sort of development like support for X64. Extremely slow though. Also license have changed dramatically since I bought it. Lifetime is not exactly promoted as the reason to buy Admuncher any more, did you click "continue" to see price for genuine lifetime support? Considering how long they have been chatting about totally new version I find that semi-crappy. Time almost stand still with Admuncher development, program only survives because it works pretty good even without gzip support and there are no as easy to use alternatives. Has devoted users for same reason but I don't cheer about how they handle development/marketing. 1 year is hmm ok, this is a lot more :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. Scoobs72

Nothing I'm aware of. I use Opera as well and the NoAds extension isn't a patch on Admuncher. Ultimately there may emerge a decent adblock extension for Opera, but it isn't available yet.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

AdMuncher vs. SuperAdBlocker = AdMuncher won...:)

11. acr1965

I always liked Kaspersky Internet Security because the firewall blocked banner ads. Taking out the banner ads really seemed to help a lot. I think Outpost firewall also has some sort of ad blocker although not as refined as Ad Muncher. There may be other firewalls that block ads- maybe with manual uploading of block lists. I think Online Armor used to be able to do that and I'd have to think some other firewalls incorporate that as well.

12. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Ad Muncher. No contest. Been using it since Jan 2006.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What problems did you face with with Proxomitron/Privoxy and Opera?

14. firzen771

nothin specific, its just an old, unmaintained program that i dont like using.

does anyone know of any coupons/discounts for admuncher?

15. acr1965

They have a facebook page and if you click the "like" button you can get a 10% discount coupon.
    http://www.facebook.com/AdMuncher?v=app_7146470109

IIRC- they usually seem to have a sale this time of year (like maybe 20% off, something like that). If the 10% FB coupon doesn't work for you then maybe just trial admuncher and use their little built in help window to ask if any sales are coming up- or just make a post in their forum. They are usually pretty responsive.

16. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

You missed a bits du jour sale back in October. I think it was 40% off. I seem to have a horrible memory since I purchased a license myself.

I was a Proxomitron user prior to that. I didn't even like the idea of a subscription based license with Admuncher but the product is really good. I use various different browsers all the time and Admuncher covers them all.

17. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Ad Muncher is totally amazing imo :cool:

18. Charles_Carmichael

Charles_Carmichael Registered Member

19. acr1965

Yeah, and for what it's worth- it also blocks ads in instant messenger programs. Just add them to the filter targets.

20. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Ad Muncher is the way to go indeed.

21. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Just bought Ad Muncher, no more buggy extensions! :p

22. firzen771

ye i decided to go ahead and use that 20% discount to buy a license :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.