Administrator or Limited User Account

Discussion in 'polls' started by Threedog, Feb 7, 2008.

?

Administrator or Limited User Account

1. Administrator

139 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. Limited User

47 vote(s)
    24.9%
  3. Other

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Which type of account do you run your Windows computer in on a day to day basis?

I see a poll on this question was done quite a while ago but I want to see if peoples thoughts have changed on this any.

2. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I always run restricted (XP). I only enter admin mode when I´m installing/updating applications, doing an AV scanning (safe/admin mode) or editing policies.

/C.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. Threedog

Thanks for posting the link to the other one. Never thought of doing it. It'll be interesting to see the difference in the two polls.

5. WSFuser

Yes it will be interesting.

6. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Administrator with Firefox and FDISR frozen on one machine and admin with Firefox and Eaz-Fix with reload snapshot on another.

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Admin, but seriously considering the switch to LUA.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I turned to SuRun and found it excellent. Offers to elevate to Admin only when necessary, otherwise everything is LUA.

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Admin - can't teach an old dog new tricks. :D

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No problem really so long as your shielding is adequate. I've run ADMIN since day one and believe it or not i only recently turned to LUA with SuRun out of pure curiosity and found it to my liking.

11. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Default LUA with SuRun. No reason to add more autostart entrys because in newest OA Beta is fingerprint by Tony Klein.

12. reparsed

reparsed Registered Member

I used to run LUA with MakeMeAdmin, but recently I've been running as admin and using DropMyRights for all Internet aware software.

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I voted Admin, but I'm seriously considering switching also. FWIW, I run my internet facing apps with DropMyRights and could do the same thing with Online Armor's Run Safer. I'm also very new to experimenting with Linux which would make me a limited user. Maybe I should change my vote to other LOL.

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

At the time of that poll I agreed with what the majority wrote there and thought people like tlu where strange (coming here and questioning my expertise like that ;) ).
    But after I actually tried LUA in practice I have changed my mind, it wasn't that hard as everybody was telling me. I cant imagine going back to admin. Especially now that Vista has found a permanent spot on my hard drive.

15. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

This is really great. Adding the next version of OA free to your LUA + SRP desktop and your system are both light & tight.

/C.

16. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I know :D Just running LUA+SRP with OA Free Beta .74. Sandboxie and Shadow Defender running of course.

17. Threedog

I have been trying LUA out for the past few days and voted LUA in the poll. Most stuff was working OK and switching back and forth between Admin and Limited wasn't that bad of a deal. Then I decided to install some games I like to play, namely Chess master and Age of Empires. They wouldn't install in LUA so I installed them in Admin and tried to play them in LUA. No go. So now I am on the fence again.

18. WSFuser

Try SuRun. Itll let you start your games (or any program) as admin while in LUA.

19. Threedog

Hmmmm thanks Fuser I will give that a try and see what happens.

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Administrator account running with limited privilages by default -> Admin with UAC in Vista.

Running with Limited account in Windows XP is possible but personally takes me a lot of time until I manually run each and everything (Run as) as Administrator . It looks I perform admin tasks too often.

With Vista , when the Admin account wants confirmation for performing Admin tasks , it is the perfect one for me personally.

Limited account in Vista would also ask for my password (too often) ;)

21. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I use Admin rights on XP here - there's only me here so it works fine for me.

I think you'll find the majority of users are logged in as Admin probably because that's the default setting.

22. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I run Admin on XP, have never got round to trying Limited.

23. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@Threedog: Please post about your results regarding using your games in LUA with SuRun. Which ChessMaster version are you playing btw? Since you seem to prefer strategic games, have you tried some of the Total War games? (my favorites ;)).

/C.

24. Threedog

@ Cerxes. I never went with the SuRun option. I had been playing with the idea of going dual boot and my second XP being for games only with no internet, no av, just windows and the games. I'm not much of a gamer just something to kill time occasionally and I got the Chessmaster ver 10 by Ubisoft to try to learn how to play chess but I haven't halfway thru the tutorial yet. :D The Age of Empires I got into only because I am a history buff so just for a little fun but when I start to loose I know a few hacks and send lazer cannon cars after the opposing teams elephants and stuff.

So back on topic...I am still using LUA on my main windows installation and just switch back and forth between the Admin and my account. I might read up on SuRun and try it out later.

25. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Admin. with very limited security apps. (AntiVir+TF) and 2 high-risk teens using this PC. Never understood the need for LUA, as it seems almost the same as using Security Center....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.