Admin runs, but Limited User problems?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Learner, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Learner

Learner Registered Member

Under Adminstrator account the new version of TDS-3 runs ok. The Limited User accounts get an error that radius file can not be found when you stop or force radius from running. The the system stalls while checking the processes? The older version didn't do this. What is going on and how can this be fixed. I have even tried to change the Limited User accounts to Administrator account, this works, but I don't want but one Adminstrator account on my system. When I change back to Limited User, the problem occurs again.

I am running Windows XP Pro with a Pentium 4 desktop with 256 MB.

The memory and processor isn't the problem, seems to have something to do with the Limited User account settings vs. Administrator settings.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

ello Learner,
    If you installed TDS on admin level, you can install it a second time on user level, which will solve the problem;
    here is another solution:
    For example, with XP Home, if I log into the administrative account, TDS loads, but logging on to the guest or any nonadministrative account, it won't. Right now I'm logged in under a nonadministrative account, and had to go to Windows Explorer and do a 'send to desk top as a short cut' for the TDS exec (the one with the TDS icon we all know and love, and this is only necessary once). After that's on the desktop, it's necessary to right click on the icon and click 'run as'. Then I have to run it as an administrative user with that user name and password, and it runs just as if I logged in under the admin user account, though all the rest of the system is protected by XP's limited account security.

In this second way it works fine, but the user needs to know the admin password to run TDS properly on that level too.

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Did you use fast user switching ?

TDS does run fine under a user account normally - did so when testing. But if you switch users and leave TDS running in the other user account, there will be a problem. TDS locks files to protect itself and some cannot then be accessed under the other account.

4. .Chris

.Chris Registered Member

So, TDS and Fast User Switching are a no-go? I'm a pretty heavy user of FUS, with me being logged in always and my parents logging in whenever they need to use the PC.

I was considering purchasing TDS for a while, but this is a put-off for me.

If TDS and FUS don't work now, any chance it might change in the future?

I haven't yet downloaded a TDS trial, but does anyone know whether TDS runs as a System service? That way, it could resolve the problem. (Btw, a layman's opinion)

Thanks,
    Chris

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Hi Chris,

You can use user switching, there are a couple of ways to do so without any problems -

a) Close TDS before switching ;)

b) Install TDS under both profiles, so each has a separate folder, and one wont try to lock files from usage

c) Run AS another user, modify the shortcut to TDS under one profile to run under the privileges of the other user, such as the admin account. This might be best :)

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

TDS-3 doesn't run as a service, this was something that didn't make it into the old scanner. You might be able to get it to using something like firedaemon, however this is unsupported and we haven't had a chance to test it. Onwards and upwards to the new TDS, there have been enough research delays already, lots of developments have meant a change of plan. Of course this is to provide the ultimate in protection, we feel it is worth the delay :)

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Chris and welcome to the forum!
    Give it a try like Gavin recommends the way of installing, many people are very satisfied with that and of course with TDS's protection.
    Evaluation is 30 days free rialing and we are all here to help you with your questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.