Adiós a las Computadoras Dell

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tassie_Devils, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Is it Goodbye for Dell? Will Apple take over?

Want more, then for the next thrilling installment: http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/?p=69

TAS

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Before I begin, let me just state that I have been a HUGE Apple fan for over 20 years. I have also been using Dell computers since before they were Dell, in the late 80s. So I know both brands really well. But I am also a realist...

The blogger makes some very interesting points. And he is correct in a lot of things. The problem that I see with Apple, as I do with Dell, is that they both appeal to people who are "afraid to put together their own computer." Neither of these manufacturers adhere to the ATX or BTX form factors. As a professional system builder, and a PC gamer, this is important to me.

Where Dell is really strong is with the corporate market. Their corporate support is second to none, and I don't see Apple coming close for some time. But Apple is capable of approaching their level, because they have always been pretty good at support.

IT departments have severe brand loyalty as well. In general, they use Dell for dektops, HP for printers, IBM for servers, and Cisco for switches routers. There is group think is hard to penetrate.

When the new Intel based Power Macs come out, I will take a second look at them for home systems. I would never buy a Dell; their proprietary hardware gives them no added value, only headaches in the future. The Macs are proprietary, but their proprietary hardware does give them some added value. Just look at some of the cool features in the new iMac, and you will see what I mean. So the new Power Mac will deserve a chance when it comes out. I hope it's a good machine, because I would like to own a Mac again.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

He does make some good points in the article, I definitely have to give it that much.. but whenever you begin an argument with "everbody is going to.." - you automatically lose, things just aren't that simple. I do expect that Apple will take a pretty good chunk out of the other's pocket-books. I'd say that the worst case scenario for Dell is that they drop out of the consumer PC market and go business-only, but that's quite a ways off from going out of business. Who knows, maybe they'll actually end up selling Apple hardware.. stranger things have happened :D

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Yep, good points guys. Made for an interesting read though.

TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.