Adguard for Firefox open beta test

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by avatar, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avatar

Hello again!

Last time I've promised to present our Firefox extension in May and now it's time to do it.
    We've just started Adguard for Firefox open beta test.

Few words about us and our product
    1. What is Adguard for Firefox?

Adguard is an ad blocking extension for Firefox browser.

2. Why Adguard rather than ABP?
    Because our extension is better, faster, easier and better-looking. Adguard is an adblocker of new generation. We don’t hold on to the code, written years ago. We listen carefully to our users and react to their wishes and suggestions.

We’ve created our own infrastructure, that includes:
    + Extensions for all popular browsers
    + Applications for Windows and soon for Mac OS, Android, iOS
    + Our own ad filters, which we support relying on feedback from users

We never stop and constantly improve our product:
    http://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-news/adguard-road-map.html

3. The way we make money
    We have a simple business model. We make money on sales of our flagship product – Adguard for Windows.

So what you get as our user:
    1. We will always be here for you and will continue to develop our products.
    2. You can always contact our technical support. We are glad to assist you anytime.
    3. We do not sell places in our whitelist and rely only on common sense and requests from our users.

How to install a beta version?
    1. Download xpi file via the link: http://chrome.adtidy.org/app.html?app=main.xpi
    2. Drag the downloaded file to Firefox

More on features of this beta-version
    We’ve tried to make Firefox extension similar to Chrome version.

We have also tried to improve one serious problem Adblock Plus has – an additional high memory consumption on each open tab. The post describing this issue was recently posted on Mozilla blog: https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/05/14/adblock-pluss-effect-on-firefoxs-memory-usage/.

The problem is that ABP creates additional memory load on each frame that Firefox is loading. In that case even if you disable filtering of this specific website, an additional load will still be here. In our extension we’ve tried to solve this problem. Tests show that when using Adguard, Firefox consumes much less memory as ABP. The difference is that Adguard can decide on whether it should inject additional content into a webpage or not.

Known Issues
    1. Submitting a complaint to a website does not work.
    2. Extension doesn’t work in Firefox for Android so far.

--
    We welcome your feedback and suggestions!

2. Alhaitham

Alhaitham Registered Member

Great

Hoping that it gets posted on AMO (addons.mozilla.org)

Thanks

3. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Trying it out, so far seems excellent.

4. Alhaitham

Alhaitham Registered Member

The info regarding that was posted on the Adguard Road Map

5. Assasin

Assasin Registered Member

Very nice plugin. I am in a low ram system and I will test the memory leaking problem.
    I have 2 suggestions:
    1) Blockable items should be viewable to the user with a filter log and if possible to accept them all or deny them.
    2) If i load the page second time it keeps counting the blocked items without checking if it has "re-seen" them again.

For the time being the plugin is as good as ADP I want to see if it will be so low memory as bluehell firewall

6. avatar

We'd like to replace filtering log with "filter developer panel" to make our work easier. But it won't be too soon:(

Do you mean that the counter does not reset to 0 after page reload?

7. Assasin

@avatar:
    My filtering log although i have 107 blockable items show nothing in log.
    For my second suggestion, I mean i visit page www.test.com it blocks 3 items if i refresh it does not need to recount them just bring them on top of the filtering log(just aesthetics maybe)

Ram consumption is not bad(I think at about the same level as ADP), but it is still high in comparison to bluehell firewall. Also I will test the startup of firefox.

8. avatar

Filtering log is real-time. We do not store records of items blocked before you've opened log.

Understood. But what if you add new filter rule (or exception rule) and want to see what have changed?

The difference is noticeable after some time using the browser. More tabs, more memory overhead.
    It is pretty the same with small tabs count.

9. Assasin

Filter log provides the information which element is blocked or not. But generally I agree.
    You can implement a static list of regexp with common ad words and from there you can try updating the filters. That would reduce your memory usage and startup speed of firefox

10. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Umm, I'm a bit puzzled....I have a full version of adguard....Out of curiosity I tried this extension....Its has all the features of the full version the only difference I can see is that this addon is faster in resolving any elements you add...ie the page doesn't reload for the effect to take place...Anyway, good luck its your business, I think adblock need to sit up and pay attention with this new competitor, just like adguard has exceeded admunchers limitations I think this has done so to ABP....To be honest I needn't have parted with any money for adguard...Never mind...I still have a great product.

11. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Testing out the new beta with Palemoon browser which keeps the old firefox ui and not australis. When using the toolbar with small icons option checked with just icons, the adguard icon adds a few pixels to the toolbar when the counter shows ads blocked. So going through webpages you can see the toolbar get bigger and smaller. A little bit annoying but other than that it's running great!

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks trying it now, so far so good.

dja2k

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Finally the Firefox version is released. I just installed it; lets see how it runs!

14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Which database is responsible for blocking website links in Google Shopping?

dja2k

15. avatar

What links exactly?

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Attached Files:

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The links are being blocked by the standard English filter. I would just report it on their forum.

18. avatar

Looks like a bug.

These links are blocked by Firefox extension only (not by Chrome extension and Adguard for Windows).
    We'll fix it, thank you!

---
    Found the issue. @WSFuser was right, English filter was blocking it. Fixed it now.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  19. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks!

dja2k

20. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

English filter is from easylist ?

21. avatar

It's based on EasyList but we maintain it by ourselves.
    So if something is wrong with it you can submit an issue to our forum or send a complaint from extension.

22. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

I've just disabled ABP and ABP Pop-Up in order to test AdGuard. Firefox used to freeze, I will test it from now, with AdGuard.

23. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Do I have to do anything to fix it on my end because the problem is still there?

dja2k

24. avatar

The problem is not just filters, there's a bug in extension (some filter rules do not work properly). Fix version will be available tomorrow.

If you want to fix it right now, add the following rule to your user filter:
    Code:
    google.com,google.co.uk#@#a[href^="http://www.google.com/aclk?"]

25. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Can you add a feature to sync custom filters in Firefox sync. ABP has the feature and I find it very useful.
    Also when you disable ad blocking in a webpage, then there should be a way to enable ad blocking from the addon menu. I dont want to go to the settings page to remove the whitelist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.