Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. avatar

You can use Adguard browser add-on in integration mode instead:
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-adblock-browser-extension/integration-mode.html#integrationMode

2. avatar

Package cache is a place, where Wix toolset (http://wixtoolset.org/) stores setup packages.
    {960c7d71-a759-4a24-ae6e-5a9b2826c4b5} - this ID is random, so I can't tell which app is it.
    Videoc.dll is a part of some Logitech software:
    http://www.shouldiblockit.com/videoc.dll-9cf3f8662b666b03365f2ea08684dac9.aspx

Ah, and one more thing, this thread is about Adguard, AppGuard is a different software:)

3. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

1. Win 10 Pro x64
    2. Sophos Home
    3. Chrome x64

4. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

I know they are different, just wanted to know why these setup packages are installed on my computer with your software , what is the purpose?
    I have deleted them, and all seems to work. No Logitech software installed here.

5. avatar

Hm, that could break the uninstall procedure as on uninstall Windows runs "setup.exe" stored in the package cache. That's just how Wix Toolset works, nothing dangerous here.

6. avatar

7. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Adguard For Windows running on host OS (Windows 10 64-bit) is filtering content phenomenally well on guest OS (any) through VirtualBox. :thumb:

8. Circuit

My question was why is it installed in the first place, what need do I have for this?
    Thanks

9. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

What I miss after 1 year AdGuard using is the ability:
    * To export and import my settings (I did this in meantime manually but an option would be nice)
    * An Overview like an taskmanager to show in a chart or table or something visualized which application is blocked the most
    * An DNS based or host resolve based list which shows the current connections (similar like netstat but maybe also visualized)
    * An Option to control how often AdGuard should show for updates (also on the Android Version that would be really useful to take control over it's traffic)
    * Password based protection to lock it's GUI
    * More information or a better integration with the Firefox extension because I think that extension is normally not necessary but it could help, e.g. for dynamic filtering based rules
    * Please get rid of the 'you successfully uninstalled AdGuard' Dialog which is pretty annoying if you closed the Browser, uninstalled AdGuard and then it re-open it. How about an Dialog BEFORE AdGuard is uninstalled (I mean before uninstaller remove everything from the hdd) similar like ESET's Dialog to submit user feedback
    * The integrated list shows programs (e.g. for me like Chrome) which is not installed, maybe this could be improved by detecting all .exe files on the system [except uninstallers].
    * Maybe an adavcen GUI or hidden option (disabled by default) to e.g. filter windows own stuff like rund32.exe and such I usually manually import these kind BUT it's pretty annoying that you can't select/import multiple .exe in the same folder so you must open it one-by-one, select it one-by-one and import it one-by-one.

Overall I love this Idea and I use it on Android and Windows each day. The dynamic filtering is pretty nice and easy to use in case something isn't in the subscribed list, I'm happy with the product overall. :thumb:

10. avatar

I guess you are talking about videoc.dll, right? Frankly, I don't understand as Adguard has nothing to do with this and it does not install it.

Are you sure that you don't have any preinstalled camera software?

Check its possible locations:
    http://www.exe-dll.com/dll/videoc.dll.htm

11. avatar

@CHEFKOCH, nice list, thank you!

This task is a part of settings sync so we will definitely implement it.

It should show only installed programs. Maybe you had Chrome installed and there're some files left?

It is possible when you enable parental control module (just disable all other options if you don't need them).

It could be dangerous (rundll32.exe and especially - svchost.exe) and could lead to a deadlock.

I've created feature requests on github. We'll take these into account while planning future releases:
    https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/874
    https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/875
    https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/876
    https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/877
    https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/879

12. WildByDesign

13. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

14. WildByDesign

15. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

6.0 final is running extremely well on my end, I'm quite happy with it.

Plus, I really do feel this is the best version ever released.

Seriously, great job to the Adguard team :thumb:

16. petok

petok Registered Member

@avatar I send before 8-9 months requesting for hide license key with * or option "hide key", but in new version not implemented why?

17. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Judging by your posts on Wilders and github, I believe you are active user of uBlockO and uMatrix, but I see now also AdGuard, presumably not at the same time?
    I am currently using gorhill's add-ons, but am interested in AdGuard.
    Would you care to outline your pros and cons of AdGuard vs. uBlockO/uMatrix? I understand of course that the latter extensions work only for the browser ...

18. CHEFKOCH

Sure, why not. The pro about AdGuard is that you simply not need any addon/extension because it can detect automatically the executables, which means if you download and install e.g. Tor Browser Bundle it will after some time detect it and you will see a little icon on the right which says you're 'connected' with AdGuard. Then you know that you not need anything, you could (if you need it) download then the adguard extension OR uBlock to 'easier' handle dynamic filtering rules BUT in fact you not need it because you could simply open the browser console (which handles DOM a lot of better as uBlock) and see what's going on and add it directly in your own rules within AdGuard, there is a filter default enabled for user or custom rules. So overall that means you not need any extension anymore. The main benefit of AdGuard is that it detect all browser automatically + it also can restrict system app, I use it e.g. for my Foobar2000k because I use the youtube addon and this blocks then trackers and such efficiently, which would't not possible with uBlock/uMatrix.

UBlock or uMatrix (which is a bit 'stronger') is normally not needed with AdGuard and there is no benefit, except as I said if you use or need a lot of dynamic rules or want to block stuff yourself then e.g. uBlock could help because these feature (similar like in AdGuard extension) can easily pick up the element you may want block.

Yes, uBlock and/or uMatrix needs to be installed within the Browser/Thunderbird and then you need to do this for each new browser. Another things is that AdGuard also can filter SSL/TLS while uMatrix only can allow/deny it, there is no reputation for certificates like with in AdGuard. Of course you need to trust AdGuard/Community here because this requires that you enable it and then it checks all your certs, similar like https-everywhere except that in AdGuards case it regular gets updates and an reputation based on what filters you use.

For me AdGuard is the more advance system because it works system-wide, e.g. since I'm using JDownloader/fb2k and such I filter such apps too. In fact it would be possible to do the same or almost the same with an simply HOSTS file but the problem here is that this then effects everything on your system and in some cases you might want to work with exceptions or your own stuff to test or whatever.

I'm quite happy with AdGuard because it can do what the HOSTS can't and allow advance users to fine granular the rules + get several gimmicks out of the box like DoNotTrack, Spoofing IP, Referer and such things (on Firefox I need Random Agent Spoofer to do the same (or uMatrix/about:config). For me for beginners this is the best deal and advance users can also benefit from it but's depending on the needs you have.

Don't get me wrong UBlock and uMatrix are very good products same like AdGuard but on OS level AdGuard is a must. If you simply not do much just open the Browser then better use uBlock/UMatrix because it's then a bit too much. Especially on servers I would recommend AdGuard, if it gets maybe an SSL Blacklist/Whitelist then this would be a killer, because (for me) it not consumes much memory and works well in the background, I wish Windows had that feature by default because HOSTS thingy wasn't designed to block that much.

What I also want to say is that all products could co-exists side-by-side but I not recommend it because it requires then a lot of work, can conflict especially if you want report/debug something and then you search for the symptoms and there is not really a benefit except wasting memory. So it's up to you. :shifty:

19. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Is AdGuard a localhost proxy and then does it allow programs out without making rules for them for Windows firewall when the unknown outbounds are forbidden?

20. WildByDesign

I can help answer the first part of the question. Hopefully the developer can provide some more detail after and also answer the second part of your question.

Adguard uses a kernel-mode driver to filter http/https traffic on the network level. So by default, it automatically intercepts all network traffic for the programs specified in the configuration. However, if you do not like the automatic interception, there is also an option to filter network traffic "as a local proxy" as you were asking. So that is also an option if you prefer it that way. That local proxy interception method reminds me of the local proxy networking filtering programs of the older days. Adguard makes that stuff much more streamlined and simple these days, but still gives you the option if you want it.

21. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Adguard one of the very best softs.

Well worth purchasing.

22. CHEFKOCH

The source is also open on GitHub so you can see directly how it works. AdGuard uses it's own driver to filter everything on lowest level which then also filters metro apps/modern apps. An local proxy can be used or just use the windows own or none, it's directly visible via GUI.

Just install it and try and report back, you will like it, ... I think so. ;):p

23. Circuit

No not installed, on beta channel updates.
    After deleting C:\ProgramData\Package Cache, they reappear when installing a new version of AdGuard.
    Never had "Package Cache" installed until AdGuard.

Attached Files:

24. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thanks - trying it out now.
    One noob question I have so far is that I only sometimes see Adguard Assistant e.g. I am not seeing it now on Wilders site. Is that because it doesn't work for https sites? I have HTTPS Everywhere installed - do I need to uninstall that? I have also enabled Stealth Mode ...
    I want to enable advertising on some sites like gHacks etc. but Adguard Assistant icon is not always there.
    Also with uBlockO/uMatrix I still had NoScript (with allow scripts globally) which still prevents clickjacking via xss/csrf. Is that still OK, or should I re-enable NoScript fully?
    Edit: Just about the only place I can get Adguard Assistant to display is at the forum: http://forum.adguard.com/index.php Are others experiencing this? This is with HTTPS Everywhere enabled or disabled (the reason I mention this is because of this statement I found:
    Please note that Adguard Assistant does not work on all sites. The sites it doesn't work on are:
    • Sites added to the list of exceptions (read more about adding sites to exceptions on the Ad Blocker module usage instructions page).
    • Sites accessible via a secure connection (HTTPS). This is caused by the fact that Adguard does not filter HTTPS traffic at all.
    Edit 2: I'd prefer to get to the bottom of this, but is the alternative to use the Adguard extension (Firefox)?

Edit 3: With another profile or in safe mode, Adguard Assistant works, so it's one of my extensions. The hunt begins ... tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  25. avatar

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.