Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

It's not features that I am referring to with that part. AG has the most of modern features out there right now for ad blocking. You guys are on top there as far as technology goes. I absolutely love AG as far as design and technology goes.

I am referring simply to the rule sets behind the program. You can have all of the best technology in the world, but if a simple text-base rule set is not up to par, that would be the bottleneck, so to speak.

And to be quite honest, this may very well be Region dependent as well, meaning some AG users have great ad blocking coverage while others may see some gaps. What I mean, essentially, is that I keep coming across web sites that I use often where the advertisement has been removed, but often there is a placeholder element left behind. But my recent use of AM these past few weeks of testing as well, they covered those placeholder elements quite well. But with my testing of AG, I am also doing my part as a user for the community and reporting those sites through the AG program which is great, making it easy to report things.

Hopefully that cleared up what I meant in my initial post.

2. avatar

Could you please send some examples in PM? Just curious.

3. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

avatar delighted to see your name in orange.

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Chrome.. Really slows down pages as Wild says. But also noticed with Adguard placeholders aren't done right in many cases, but also pages are mis-aligned at times. I will have to re-install Adguard for testing, but I was holding out for v6 to do any further testing as Admuncher+uBlock is working dandy.

Any timeline for Adguard v6 beta to start at least?

5. WildByDesign

I am always running the latest Google Chrome with no extensions.

Regarding your other question of PMing you some examples, absolutely, I am always happy to help. Especially when it really helps the community as a whole. I will send some examples later tonight to you by PM here in a few hours. And I will also report any through the AG report function as well whenever I come across anything missed.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi Avatar.
    The issue with noscript seems to be corrected now for some odd reason.However adguard will still not allow me to add filters.I tick the filters and press save but the lists will not appear i the filterlist.

Thanks.

7. avatar

That's strange because we have not yet released a fix for noscript issue (although we've found the cause and the fix will be available on monday).
    Filters is a mystery, I'd like to know more about your configuration.

Firefox version? e10s?

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

hi avatar.
    Im using firefox 37 on linux mint.Only other extensions are noscript,WOT and flagfox.

Thanks.

9. WildByDesign

Thanks to avatar's suggestion, the performance of Adguard is significantly better now on my system after enabling the option for Use WPF network driver in Adguard's Network settings. Keep in mind, this may not be the solution for everyone. But I am loving Adguard now. Adguard team was also quick to fix web site breakage when reported. With everything setup the way I have it now, Adguard performance is on par now with AM.

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Attempted to install Adguard on a machine that used to have it, and got this error.. Not a good omen for re-testing it... So what's this error about?

Attached Files:

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Any ideas on this error? It has come up on 2 machines so far, unable to install it.

12. avatar

I can say more if you send me Adguard's log files (files from %temp% folder with Adguard prefix).

@The Red Moon
    We have fixed an issue with NoScript in the latest AG for Firefox version (2.0.6).

13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I have noticed that the main filters have not been updated a couple of days. Any problems?

EDIT: English, Russian and German filters have been updated now. It seems the updates begin to be pushed.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

In the future can we add filter lists to AdGuard browser extension?

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Actually you can enable wide range of filters. They include own Adguard filters, all EasyList filters and others. Just check the settings. Import of filters isn't included yet.

16. avatar

Yes of course. I will copy/paste my answer to fanboy from our forum:

17. avatar

Thank you! You were right, filters cache has not been updated for 2 days because of a program error.

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

19. pegas

pegas Registered Member

@avatar
    Do you have ETA for iOS version (at least public beta)?

20. WildByDesign

iOS version is just VPN, correct? Since Apple blocks any low-level functionality. I've always had to block iOS ads at router level.

21. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes, it's only way.
    Yeah but you're limited to one connection, it's not so handy when travelling and so on.

22. avatar

Oh no, I won't do that mistake twice, no ETA yet until I am sure:)

Yes, you are right.

The only alternative is using local proxy and manually set it up for every wi-fi like Weblock does.

23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I wouldn't punish you. :D OK let's assume that it might be available when iOS 9 is released, i.e. till September 2015.

24. WildByDesign

Looks like the latest build installs with WFP network driver by default now, probably as long as it is Windows 8.1 or higher. I assume that means the WFP network driver has reached a certain level of stability. All good here still, WFP seems faster as well.

25. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Is there any filter to turn off auto-play in youtube ? Its really really annoying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.