Adguard - Ad Blocker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, Mar 2, 2013.

1. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

5.10 has just been released, do you mean version 6.0 :doubt:

2. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Sorry yes I did mean 5.10. I have been using 5.10 since clubhouse1 announced it, and iv only been using adguard since version 5.9. The assistant fails to block anything in Feedly for some reason whereas the free browser version works fine.

3. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

So sorry for misunderstanding, perhaps personal message @avatar with your query.

4. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

No problem. Will do.

regards.

5. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

You can use the browser version along with AdGuard for windows.

6. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Yes thats true, was already doing that as a complement. But i hate the idea of having the assistant and the adguard add on at the same time for chrome, seems like a messy solution. Especially if the assistant should be there to do its job.

Anyway, i solved the problem by moving it of my main PC and onto my Uni Laptop where i dont use feedly. :)

Still love the software and has great potential (hopefully V6), but IMO they need to restructure, and simplify things down.

Regards.

7. avatar

Sorry for the delay guys, I am on vacations now:)

5.10 is ready and finally we can start working on Adguard 6.0 in full strength.
    @TS4H, what for your feature request. The good thing in Assistant is that it can be used in any browser. Extension can be used in Chrome/Firefox only.

In future we want to improve extension integration with Windows-version so that it could fully replace Assistant in Chrome and Firefox.

8. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Hi Avatar, thanks for your contribution to Adguard even when you are on vacation :thumb:

I agree, assistant does a great job on other browser, but for the likes of Chrome and Firefox, IMO better integration or a replacement is welcome.

Regards.

9. clubhouse1

I've found that Easylist overrides any user created filters....(I still use adblock to find SCRIPTS) for example:

||addthis.com^

Add it as a user filter and its seems to be fine, use Easylist and its overridden....Looking through Easylist I find dozens of @@ addthis exceptions obviously in green and not video related!...avatar the sooner you guys can add a script exposing feature the better!

Lol @ adblocks opt out exceptions box.....The exceptions are in the filters anyway.....Look through easylist, there's 100's.

10. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Wow, I am really impressed by the memory optimizations in 5.10.

Good job Adguard team, keep it up :thumb:

11. avatar

No, it's not acceptable ads. We have lots of @@ rules in our filters too. Need them to fix broken websites.

12. clubhouse1

I'm sure you do but I don't want addthis tracking me......In fact I don't want any list overriding rules I create!!!....Makes the option redundant....Or are you saying removing addthis rules from lists will break some sites?

13. avatar

I don't see addthis whitelisting in EasyList.

Also you can always find and disable this whitelisting rule manually.

14. clubhouse1

Well shoot me in the eye and call me Shirley, I've just downloaded the latest Easylist and there isn't a single addthis reference!!!....I must have downloaded a rogue\faulty list 3 days ago, there was about 200 @@ entries and at least 50 of them were addthis!!!!.....I'm sure I downloaded them from the official site...Thanks avatar....Problem solved.

15. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Installed Adguard 1.0.3.2 on my Firefox v32 (Android L Preview, Nexus 4), from adguard.com, though i was not able to find any information reg. it can be installed this way.
    Seems to working as expected. But i was not able to access its settings page. Do you know how should i do that.. I figured it out :) It was present in the firefox menu buried at the bottom.

I am new to this extension. Installed onto my desktop also yesterday. Did not get a chance to look at it though. I have few clarifications wrt to it..
    1) What additional filters do you recommend adding to it wrt to Privacy. (Mobile Firefox Vs Desktop Firefox)
    2) What is the english filter? Is it solely maintained by Adguard team? Would it overlap with EasyList?
    3) If adding multiple subscriptions, does duplicate filters are ignored? uBlock does that ;)
    4) Is it ok to add multiple subscriptions. Would it cause any performance issue like ABP has it. uBlock does not suffer from this problem.
    5) Does the addon version actually block the net requests or simply hides the ads? Your website say addon will only hide and does not save any bandwidth? Is it true..:(

Thanks in Advance. By the way Firefox addon looks good. Does it have future improvements planned like full blown standalone installer. Just curious.

Thanks Again..Harsha

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  16. pegas

pegas Registered Member

If I'm correct you did install the Firefox extension to Firefox on an Android device but Android extension is yet under development. However it should be soon out for public beta testing, afaik.

17. avatar

No, Firefox extension can be used in Firefox for Android, it's ok.
    Standalone Android App is in closed beta now.

18. harsha_mic

Ok Cool. I see it is yet pending for review under firefox store. Yet i installed it anyway. I am desperate for a good Ad Blocker (in a broad sense :)) on mobile platform.

19. avatar

1) Our spyware filter is enough
    2) It extends EasyList. Look here for details: http://adguard.com/en/filters.html#english
    3) Of course
    4) We show an alert if you enable 10 or more filters. However it does not mean that there will be any performance issue.
    5) Yes. Learn more here: http://adguard.com/en/how-ads-blocked.html

20. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification. It wasn't clear from your website that the FF extension also works on Android platform.

21. harsha_mic

Awesome, Thanks.

:)

hmm..:(. Will take a look at the link provided later.

A quick review at the above link gives the below statement reg. extenstions..
    So, it looks like the DOM elements can be blocked but not the scripts...? Am i misunderstanding something here?

Will look at the extension at home later tonight...

Thanks again for your replies.
    -Harsha.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  22. avatar

Any request can be blocked so if the script is loaded by request it can be blocked.

23. harsha_mic

Ok. Thanks!

24. harsha_mic

Few Cosmetic Bugs..

a. When "block ads on a website" opened, under normal orientation, the pop-up window is not resized completely.Pls. see the attached screen shot for ref.
    b. When Filter List is opened, Adguard Filters are expanded by default. Try minimizing it, and you see it does not minimize completely. Screenshot attached..
    c. I believe settings window should be redesigned. It does not reflect on mobile well. It is too small on 4.7" screen too..

Attached Files:

25. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

I am unable to edit any post or upload any file on this forum,i doubt it's Adguard.Tried using Firefox -32,IE 11,Google Chrome latest version- 64 bit on Windows 7 Ultimate -x64.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.