Adding two Laptops behind same router as my Desktop with LNS

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Rilla927, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Down the road here I want to add two laptops with LNS which will be behind the same router as my Desktop.

I have a 2Wire Modem/Router (DSL from phone co.) which is considered Wireless, but it has an Ethernet cable going from the back of modem to my desktop box.

Here's the thing, I have been at LNS site reading FAQ about "How to configure Look 'n' Stop for a Local Area Network ?" The part I don't quite understand where it says:

If you connect 2 PCs in a network, you want them to communicate, and you want them to be protected against the perils of the Internet.
    The solution to this problem is as follows. You need to install Look 'n' Stop on each PC and add a Rule that allows the exchange of data with the other PC. In order to do this, you need to know the Ethernet Addresses of both computers. The Rule to add consists of a simple Authorization of all data coming from a source having the Ethernet Address of the other computer.

The part where it says "you want them to communicate". Maybe you guys can help me understand this better, why I would need the other two laptops to communicate with my computer? What is the benefit of me doing it this way? Is this the only way? I thought I would install LNS on both and set up like I would my desktop. I didn't realize there would be a connection of some sort to my Desktop. The two laptops have wireless integrated cards in them already.

Cuz lord knows, with some of the stuff my husband does on his laptop, I really would prefer his computer stay away from mine.

Thanks for all your help!

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

If you don't want/need your PCs on the local network to communicate (file sharing, gaming...) then no need to apply this part of tha FAQ.

Additionally, this part of the FAQ applies to HUBs, but not to Routers. For routers, the file sharing configuration is done using the following import ruleset:
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/rules/rules.htm#Partage

Frederic

3. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Gosh, you are fast! I don't do sharing of any type of files, no on line gaming.

Thanks Frederic for such a quick reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.