Adding security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bongo-Bob, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bongo-Bob

Bongo-Bob Registered Member

I'm a happy user of NOD32 and Spy Sweeper protects me against spyware. Apart from that i also have a router with a firewall and a firewall installed on the pc.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to add more to this arsenal and if so, which program?

Personally i'm thinking about programs like Ewido and Trojan Hunter, but i'm not sure if they will play nicely with NOD32 and Spy Sweeper.

Opinions about these programs would be very welcome! Of course the same goes for suggestions pointing to other options.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Spywareblaster and Win patrol would be a good addition. I have used both a long time and have never had a problem with either.

3. Bongo-Bob

Bongo-Bob Registered Member

Wow, those are two fantastic pieces of software!

Especially Spyware Blaster blew me away. This is the kind of software that should be installed on every new computer. Especially because it is free.

Winpatrol gives me a lot more insight what is actually going on on my pc. I'm thinking about going for the payed version. R.I.D seems to be a great back-up for both Spy Sweeper as NOD 32.

Thank you for pointing out two great programs. And if you were the one who moved my posting to the right forum, thanks for that too! :)

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

You probably should have a firewall like Zone Alarm or any number of other applications. You could use a locked HOSTS file.

You could use the ewido scanner to check for trojans.

F secure has a free rootkit detector.

That's what I use:
    NOD32
    Zone Alarm Free
    Spy Sweeper
    Spybot S7D with Tea timer
    Spyware Blaster
    Ewido Scanner
    F-Secure rootkit application
    locked MVPS hosts file
    (and cleaner to clean up the junk files on the computer)

I feel pretty secure with this set up, though maybe not as bullet proof as others here. The great part, is that other than NOD and SS...they are all free!

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

6. bigc73542

For some OA works well I have a license for it and can't use it. It crashes my windows explorer every five minutes or so. and with WinPatrol I have had no such problems.

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I wonder what's happening on your machine because as you know, i've use F-secure for a long time in conjuction with Kerio 4.2.2. Personal and used the 30 day Online Armor trial with both of these with absolutely no problems.

8. bigc73542

It crashes My explorer with F-Secure, Norton and even f-Prot so I don't believe it is an antivirus problem. Since I can't use it I just don't. I got along with out it in the past and I will in the future. It is just one of those things.:doubt:

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

That's too bad since you have a key for it already.Just shows you how different each computer can be in reacting with software.What a headache i had after installing 'Prevx1' along side F-secure and Kerio.Took me an hour and a half to un-install the bloody thing.lol!.

10. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Interesting I binned OA for PrevxR and have been very pleased.

Kinda like OA but Outpost with ProcessGuard and Prevx more than cover it. And on my machine seem more compatible.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I would have said you already have enough so the answer depends on who you ask. I see you did not specify which software firewall you are using.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have Ewido Plus, and during the trial of NOD32 I experienced no problems.
    FWIW I also used Kerio 2.1.5 firewall with no problems. NOD ran well with everything.

Jerry

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

To OP I'd get rid of spysweeper. And add ProcessGuard paid. Between NOD32 & PG & soft and hardware firewall that's enough.

14. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

i uninstalled spysweeper and go with ewido now. about Online Armor, it worked well with NOD32 and kerio 4.2, and now i'm trialing the new KAV AV and it continues to work well. but that's all i've tried it with.

i'm going to try the new OA AV+ is a couple weeks and that includes the KAV engine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.