Add to contact list request from unknown people on MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Lucy85, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

Good day. I'm having a problem where i would get requests from unknown people each time i login MSN Messenger. I would just block them but this has become a real headache. Don't think those people are real because the email addresses have duplicate names.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8738/0000op4.th.png

Have scanned my computer with NOD32 antivirus and Spyware Terminator and found nothing. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks.

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have the same issue. A lot of people that I don't know keep adding me to their MSN contact list. I think the problem stems from my hotmail address where people are confusing me with another person with the same name. Since Hotmail and MSN are related, the mail server information must be available for a MSN search to add contacts to the messenger program. In some cases, people sign up for multiple accounts so there will add requests from the same person. I am thinking of cancelling out of MSN service so that people will stop requesting to be added.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Have you guys tried the following?

Bring up Messenger > Tools > options and then Privacy on the left.

In the Allow and Block Lists, check "only people on my allow list...." and in the Block List box - block all others.

There is also an alert on who has added you to their list - I keep that unchecked as well.

5. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

ccsito : I think mine are just bots, people usually don't have more than 5 hotmail accounts ^^

ronjor : that seems to be a different attack but i'll keep that in mind if do receive such file.

zcv : Checking the first option will disable the other so i can't disable alert me whenever someone adds me.

Perhaps i should close hotmail account and reactivate it after a while...

6. secg

secg Registered Member

its a worm which send automatic request to all the contacts on teh infectes oc.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I wonder if you use GAIM to connect to the MSN network. Would there be a change? Or the functionality of blocking contacts in it. Never had to do, so I'm wondering. Could be worth a try. To say nothing of GAIM's overall superiority.
    Mrk

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

If you don't know who they are, don't add them.

9. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

It's never wise to add anyone unknown.

I have this issue with someone/-thing.
    Everytime I open Y! messenger the same person is requesting to be added, EVEN though I have him blocked...and the ID he wants to be added to is not valid anymore. :doubt:

A contact of mine just recently was infected. Sent nasty messages and links to me.
    I think he's got it fixed now.

My saying is, never, ever click on any links and stuff. It's really bad! :ouch:

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Change your screen name from Lucy to "David". That'll fix it right up :D

Seriously, it's probably a bot. Yahoo IM is the same - pop into a chatroom and you get messages from bots inviting you to "view their website". It's very, very annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.