AdBlockPlus Now Blocks Youtube Annoyances

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dave0291, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

From the article:

"YouTube is infamous for its annoyances and its cluttered interface. If you want to just get down to watching videos without all the junk, Adblock Plus has added support for a new, streamlined YouTube experience that gets rid of all kinds of cruft. "

The link to the customization page is here:http://youtube.adblockplus.me/en/

I'm using the full blocking option in Firefox and I must say that Youtube is a much more enjoyable experience with it. What Google does to thwart these efforts remains to be seen.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Do you need to uninstall ABP & reinstall? Do you have to have YouTube running in a web page to customise it?

3. Dave0291

No to both questions. :) The one possibly negative consequence of choosing full blocking is that related videos are no longer shown on the side. That might annoy some who are looking for videos from the same person/genre. From what I can tell, it's simply an extra list like you would normally add to the extension instead of a new function of AdBlockPlus.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Nice find. I installed the "other annoyances" filter. Works great for :cool:eliminating annotations. This is something that I wanted for a while. Thank for posting Dave0291.

Bo

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK thanks.

6. Dave0291

You're welcome.

Bo Elam, yes I'm glad I came across the article as well. Youtube has become a terrible mess these last few years, and the new initiative of Google to tame a lot of the ugliness has both failed and is suffering from users pushing back against it. These new options allow us to enjoy Youtube and not concern ourselves with the fight. :)

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

In the past I was able to create custom filters for getting rid of annotations but a few month ago Youtube made changes and they didn't work anymore. So, this is great for me cause I cant stand having to constantly turn annotations off.

Bo

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.