Adblocker/trojan deleter/virus scanner/spyware deleter/Personal firewall - All i

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by NGRhodes, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

When it comes down to basics all these programs have the same aims.

To stop unwanted data getting onto your machine, and to make sure only what you want leaves it.

What I was thinking, is that there must be a huge overlap in the way each of these programs work, scanning data packets, files etc...

Now, why has noone developed an engine that does all this in one go ?

Surely due to the overlap in functionality, by grouping into a common program, efficency would be greatly increased ?

Outpost firewall has plugins, which appear to run off the main engine, they have ad blocking functionality for example, now if the engine could be extended, so it alls virus scanning, trojan detection/scanning, could really have a killer application.

Also by combining them, surely detection/anaylsis could be much stronger...

machine notices large amount of data on port xxx going out... triggers trojan detection, user is alerted that a detected trojan has been detected and stopped ?

Take it a step further, linking all these software together to update together, alerting the user that news site xxx has announced a new vunerability, or MS has annouced a new patched.

I just think that it all these different security software talked to each other, shared technology more proactive in their approach then we could have much better security.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Re:Adblocker/trojan deleter/virus scanner/spyware deleter/Personal firewall - Al

Hi nickr

...and welcome to Wilders :)

A lot of the major vendors are in fact moving towards "Internet Security Suites" incorporating varying degrees of protection (firewall, AV, ad and active content filtering, etc.)

While some users might like suites and the all in one approach, others still prefer dedicated software for specific functions.

The potential pitfall for the all in one approach is that if something bad were to happen (ie. trojan) and your suite is disabled, you have nothing. With dedicated software the likelyhood of everthing being taken down is less, but not impossible, and would still leave you with something.

So for security suites vs. dedicated software, it boils down to user preference and what they feel best suits their needs and computer use.

Something is still better than nothing.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Re:Adblocker/trojan deleter/virus scanner/spyware deleter/Personal firewall - Al

Besides, there are different risks for networking, applications, filetransfer, breaches of confidentiality and lots more.
    Any tool that acts on the network layer needs an architecture to operate efficiently, trying not to diminish performance of the component, whereas an application layer filter is far more focussed on effectiveness: catching all known baddies an protect against yet unknown malware.
    Integrated products, like Outpost (I like it very much...), are not fully integrated tools, although the interface looks that way. One function (for instance protection against bad e-mail attachments) wil probably be implemented superior by using dedicated content inspection tooling. It's a whole different ball game.
    You have to decide if you want Best-of-Breed products, or if you want all-in-one tools. That's a matter of trust versus easy of use.

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Another aspect to consider is that each area has its own pitfalls. By keeping to separate products/vendors for separate defenses you are having a better chance in having a full range of protection on whatever issue by someone who specializes in that one issue. If you go to an all-in-one, there are other considerations that dominate that might counter the fulness of the defense on whatever area, maybe a certain side of the product/defense receives lesser funding from the company because market research shows less overall public interest in or awareness of that problem, or maybe they lose a major programmer/researcher in one area and they just let things slide a bit. With a company that has a more focused emphasis there is less possibility for this as the main app's focus is their "bread and butter"

5. Rickster

Rickster Guest

After viewing opinions here and elsewhere the last couple years, a lot of apps have been tried, tested and evaluated by knowledgeable people. This includes really good apps that over time, in an effort to be everything to everyone, became grossly deficient to anyone. I'm convinced it's better to get the "best of breed" as meener put it, for each threat category. What consitutes best of breed however, will always be an enduring arguement.

Regards, Rick

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Ignoring the user interface side of things and looking at core functionality, I agree that seperate apps do a better job than all in one approach, my personal preference has always been to buy a seperate hdd defragmenter, seperate virus scanner (I always seem to get these free with motherboards, I have PC Cillin 2002, Mcafee 5.1, Norton 2000, plus more...).

The more I thought about it the more I realised that, a well configured firewall will take the strain off the virus scanner, as much unwanted traffic is blocked.

Converslu, a virus scanner might trap a worm before it attempts to connect to the internet.

Ad blocker coexists somewhere between, depending on choice of ad blocker used.

7. meneer

meneer Registered Member

It's all a matter of risk management.
    Are you afraid of network attacks, use a network security tool (the firewall). Afraid that some harmful content will invade your system? Use a content inspection tool (AV/AT), or minimize the risks by choosing an other platform (that again has it's own risks). Fear of invasion of privacy: use anti spam, anti ads. Fear of losing data: use encryption. Afraid of theft of you computer: take anti-theft measures
    Some tools can manage more than one risk. That's just a matter of testing tools.

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hmm sounds familiar. Have you been reading my sig again ;) :D

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.