Adblock Plus Will Soon Block Fewer Ads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Actually, you did say it.

1) In this post of yours, you mentioned that a standard user has no write permission for the hosts file.

So far, I agree. And, that happens for a good reason.

2) Then, you said This is no problem at all, of course, if one is logged on as admin/has disabled UAC

This is where I disagree. Sure, if one runs as administrator, then he/she has full permissions to the hosts file. But, it isn't necessary to log in to the administrator account. You can use whatever tool from within a standard user account, just fine. Even run Notepad with administrative privileges without ever logging to the administrator account.

And, what exactly is a reason for so many people to disable UAC? To access the hosts file? Sorry, I'm not understanding the reason why you mentioned that so many people disable UAC. :doubt:

Regarding Windows XP... If they're running as administrators, well... lack of permissions is not an issue... the issue would be precisely too much permissions. :D And, they can use a limited user account and run tools that allows them to elevate when needed, such as SuRun.

You're right about that. But, it doesn't come without its issues either. Yesterday, I was using a relative's computer running Google Chrome with Adblock Plus (I had installed it.).

I visited Softpedia's website and I was seeing ads. No, it wasn't the whitelist thing. :p I was seeing ads in other web sites too.

I had to delete the Adblock Plus cache in Chrome's profile in the Local Storage folder.

According to my relative, she started seeing ads for quite sometime in websites where they usually were blocked by ABP+.

So, issues are always present, regardless of what is used. ;)

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

From what I have seen, total ignorance of what it actually does. I assisted a customer about a week ago that had disabled UAC as a fix from one of their other vendors that told them to disable it rather than provide an actual fix for their software. Due to their lack of understanding they did so. Then they started calling other vendors (including my company) to see if they could figure out why they lost their settings and preferences for several programs. I recommended they turn it back on and call that vendor back to request a proper fix. Giving employees full admin on an internet facing machine is dangerous for many reasons, HOSTS file included.

I got the Adblock Plus update a couple of days ago and haven't noticed a real difference in anything. Looks like I will still have to whitelist some of the sites I wish to support.

3. m00nbl00d

Yes, I'm aware many people disable because of ignorance. But, I was trying to understand if user tlu meant that, but linking it to the modification of the hosts file. Which again, would be ignorance.

Obviously, employees should never have admin privileges. But, I was targeting home users only. There's no need to switch or log in to an administrator account to modify the hosts file. One can do it from the comfort of a limited/standard user account. If we want to have under consideration that with UAC disabled they can't elevate from within a standard user account, then the modification of the hosts file isn't the only concern; there are installers, applications updates, applications settings that can only be modified by administrators...

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So, it's an extension setting. Makes sense.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I know you know that and though I quoted you it was more of a general experience I have had than it was a response. I think the majority of people think the UAC slider in Windows 7 is only about prompts and do not understand what is behind them.

As for editing the HOSTS file I use a custom setup that I personally like. I drop a copy of nircmd.exe in the system directory and make a custom shell entry in the registry to run it. For example I use PSPad for text files. After installing that and nircmd I add a "PSPad as Admin" entry to the right click for "*" and launch it with the "nircmd.exe elevate" command. So right clicking a file and selecting "PSPad as Admin" from the context menu will prompt for UAC elevation and when I click "Yes" on the UAC prompt I get an editable file opened from wherever it resides rather than having to move it or launch a text editor as admin and browsing for it or having to type out some tedious command line to edit a file. The same could be done with any text editor. As a system admin little things like that save me a lot of time and aggravation.

6. tlu

tlu Guest

Okay, okay;) Let's say: I was not precise enough, and I was also a bit ironic.

What I meant: Many people seem to be irritated by UAC prompts and therefore tend to disable it. Updating the hosts file is one example that causes such an UAC prompt. And "replacing" UAC or a limited account with a hosts file is not a good idea.

Oh, really? :D:D:D (Hint: I was the guy who started the lengthy SuRun thread years ago.;) ) But how many people are using/aware of SuRun?

I don't know what to say. This might be a Chrome specific issue. And the Chrome version of ABP is not yet completely on par with the FF version.

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

How true! :thumb:
    Neither ABP/Chrome nor TPL/IE are as effective as ABP/FF...;)

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The TPL isn't even on par with Chromes' ad blocking, from my experience. I've almost given up on Chrome getting it right, what with several delays in getting this webrequest API thing going.

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

No more delays DW. I've been keeping track. You'll have a stable WebRequest API very soon.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

About time. Thanks, Hungry.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Of course, talking about forks ... Iron has an adblocking .ini which works very well indeed.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

14. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Adblock Plus is no longer a featured add-on in AMO, could it be because of the new feature? BTW, that fork is not really needed as there is an opt-out feature anyway. That fork makes the acceptable ads an opt-in feature.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Interesting! Any idea how this "Featured" list (72 when I just looked) is generated?

16. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I also have no idea, although I also witnessed an extension being removed from the featured list before. It's the download status bar, it is removed when the author has been changed and the new author made an update to the add-on that inserts ads to the users, or something like that.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can't see any reason why Mozilla themselves would remove the addon from its featured list over this "feature". This isn't a case of an extension including ads, simply an ad blocker not blocking certain ones. That being said, after exploring this so called "feature" for days now, I have to call the "protecting free websites" claim a wagon full of horse crap. That list has more than one major corporation in it, and it's very obvious from the list that this is not so much about protecting some little upstart than about something else.

"Acceptable ads" is an acceptable concept until you see the list, then it just looks like the guy is getting a little something for doing it. The man needs money, we all do, but don't try to screw with people by claiming a championing cause that's BS. It's no wonder the guy is catching heat.

18. kupo

kupo Registered Member

EDIT: MISUNDERSTOOD :D
    I'm still sleepy when I've login, lol.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  19. m00nbl00d

I don't think dw426 was saying it to you. It was about ABP developer. :D Note what dw426 mentioned:

The acceptable adds feature is way more than that, according to user dw426, because it appears there are way more in the white list. dw426 is saying that ABP developer shouldn't screw with people.

That's my understanding, anyway. :D

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

M00n gets it, lol. No, Skudo, my comments weren't directed at you :) And yes, I have a serious issue with anyone saying they're doing something for someone, yet it's benefiting their self and everyone else but the person it's supposed to. I fully support keeping the web a free place and supporting those small companies/people that don't have millions but have great ideas. The list of acceptable ads contradicts the developers' supposed good intentions.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

FWIW, as of yesterday and today, there are less than 72. Odd. Eggnog effect?
    Here's the sorted list, including repeats:
    Code:
    Add to Search Bar
    Boo.ly Shopping - Best Prices, Coupons & Offers
    Brief
    Browser Backgrounds
    Browser Backgrounds
    Cache Status
    Ciuvo - Price check in your Browser
    Ciuvo - Price check in your Browser
    Clippings
    Clippings
    Context Search
    Cooliris
    Cooliris
    Destroy the Web
    Destroy the Web
    Drag & DropZones
    Drag & DropZones
    Echofon for Twitter
    Echofon for Twitter 
    Fire.fm
    Flagfox
    Flagfox
    FlashGot
    FlashGot
    FoxyProxy Standard
    Ghostery
    Google Redesigned
    Google Shortcuts - All Google Services at a glance
    ImTranslator - Online Translator, Dictionary, TTS
    Integrated Gmail No Restart
    Integrated Gmail No Restart
    InvisibleHand
    Lazarus: Form Recovery
    Menu Editor
    My Homepage
    Organize Search Engines
    Price Comparison for Firefox - WindowShopper
    PriceBlink - Automatic Price Comparison & Coupons No Restart
    Print Edit
    Print Edit
    QuickDrag
    QuickDrag
    QuickWiki
    Rainbow Color Tools
    Read It Later
    ReminderFox
    Restartless Restart No Restart
    Session Manager
    Springpad No Restart
    Status-4-Evar
    Stylish
    Stylish
    Stylish
    Super Start
    Super Start
    Tab Mix Plus
    Tab Mix Plus
    Tab Scope
    Tab Scope
    TableTools2 - Copy/Sort/Chart/Filter Table&More!
    Textarea Cache
    Textarea Cache
    Tile Tabs
    TinEye Reverse Image Search
    TinEye Reverse Image Search
    TinyURL Generator
    Twitter Address Bar Search No Restart
    Twitter Address Bar Search No Restart
    Video DownloadHelper
    Web Search Pro
    Xmarks Sync
    Yoono: Twitter Facebook LinkedIn YouTube GTalk AIM

22. guest

guest Guest

Don't like it, don't use it: untick a checkbox and it's gone forever.

For 1. Palant really deserves being recompensed; and for 2. a bigger money flow improves any project.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If you'll bother to read my previous posts, I have no issue with the man having money to feed his family, pay his bills and what not. So 1: Yes he does, but not by trying to guilt trip people and by talking about "poor little websites dying because people block ads". That little "less than 72" item list contains big players and allows innumerable ads. As far as 2: Money itself improves nothing, a developer makes or breaks his or her own project by what they choose to do.

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

All I can say is "this is all rather worrying". :doubt:

25. guest

guest Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.