Adblock Plus Will Soon Block Fewer Ads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I was using Adblock plus as well, it was meant as an alternative is all, no offence meant.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

3. hogndog

I wasn't bashing Adblock Plus its an excellent application I've used it from my first days on a computer, If i offended anyone i apologize, just sharing some thoughts on blocking ads, if anything host files compliment Adblock plus.. :)

Hogndog

4. tlu

tlu Guest

FYI, there's an equivalent for ABP: the Malware Domains subscription.

5. hogndog

Thanks for that now we've all learned something.. :thumb:

I've bookmarked it.. :D

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

does it slow down surfing?

7. hogndog

I hope its Kosher to say this but no just the opposite.. :gack:

Hogndog

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

about
    when will adblock start to block fewer ads?

i mean the next version ? or version 3

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i will try hostsman

thanks

10. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There are mixed results with using host files, for example it's often been said that you need to disable the DNS Cache service, otherwise you'll experience some serious slowdowns.

Of course, disabling DNS Cache means... you're removing your cache, which itself is a slowdown.

I've never seen a decent speed comparison though.

11. progress

progress Guest

Version 2.0.1 will block fewer ads - but I haven't seen any ads so far ... :)

12. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Hopefully it gets to the point where ad companies start listening and we end up not needing an adblocker.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I doubt I'll live that long. ;)

14. tlu

tlu Guest

Another problem is that a standard user has no write permission for the hosts file. This is no problem at all, of course, if one is logged on as admin/has disabled UAC and relies on some dubious HIPS instead ... :D

15. guest

guest Guest

I keep giving a chance, now and then, to the supposedly best customized HOSTS file (MVPS HOSTS and its devs recommendations such as disabling the DNS Client service) with the help of HostsXpert.

And it keeps making me sad.

I just gave it another chance this week and couldn't resist with it for more than 5 days. Random slowdowns/freezes/errors on pretty normal webpages were starting to drive me crazy.

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

o_O

Since when do you need to be logged in as an administrator to modify the hosts file? One thing is for administrator privileges being required to modify it, a totally different one is to log in to an administrator account.

You can modify the hosts file from within a standard user account; you just need to elevate privileges for as long as it is required. It's not any different from other tasks requiring administrative privileges.

Note: I'm not advocating the need to use a hosts file. I simply want to clarify that you don't need to switch user accounts to modify it. :)

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Your computers have different profiles, unless their synced.

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

even Allow non-intrusive advertising is off ?

thanks

19. progress

progress Guest

What do you mean? Allow non-intrusive advertising is ON by default but you can turn it OFF if you want to kill small companies :'( :D

20. tlu

tlu Guest

I didn't say that. I said "...if one is logged on as admin/has disabled UAC". Because that's one of the reasons why many people disable UAC (Win XP not mentioning at all). Updating the Malware Domains subscription in ABP doesn't have these problems.

21. guest

guest Guest

Yep, but what are its current performance penalties?

I guess the information here may be somewhat outdated.

22. niki

niki Registered Member

https://adblockplus.org/development-builds/allowing-acceptable-ads-in-adblock-plus
    As per the above: Since I'm subscribed to EasyPrivacy in addition to EasyList, could that be the reason why the box of *Allow non-intrusive advertising* was unchecked when it updated to the latest version of Adblock Plus? Perhaps other members who also have additional subscriptions as shown in the quote, could comment whether they also had the box unticked? TIA

23. guest

guest Guest

There is the reason, thanks niki. I also have EasyList and EasyPrivacy. As I posted here, the Allow non-intrusive advertising option came unchecked by default.

Again, for those that didn't read:

24. niki

niki Registered Member

You're welcome! Thanks for responding so quickly guest. :thumb: I remembered reading that quote but liked to verify it with other members who have ABP installed with a privacy list but wasn't sure.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

^^^^^^^^^^ This

^^^^^^ and this.

The obvious answer to the problem is to have ads that are at least tolerable, if not entertaining. To annoy is not going to get sales. Plus, not everyone will be interested in a particular product. Making an ad popup on my screen and flash by will not get a sale. For me, not even if it was something I wanted because you annoyed me.

Amazon in my opinion is the only one that gets it right. When I am on their site they present items they think I would be interested in and they are usually right. I spent way too much money there. :ouch:

The worst is when I open a site and I hear the sound of someone talking. That will not sell me anything. Alt + F4 and they are gone, and I won't return to that site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.