Adblock Plus to Twitter Only sell ads we like

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by siljaline, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

So, in other words Adblock says that:
    Great way to promote an ad blocker! :rolleyes:

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The whole purpose of ABP's existence was website advertising going too far. It wasn't to starve website owners of revenue. Therefore, compromise is needed to promote good ads over bad ones, which may provide more incentive for change than outright blocking.

It's not even forced, nor are there no alternatives (and semantics are pointless), so this whole issue is overblown due to treating a slippery slope as more than just a possibility defined by user choice.

5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

True, data collection and advertising are the life-blood of e-commerce. Businesses need to finance their online operations, beyond just marketing content and shipping it to your house. I'm not against advertising completely, though I have found ways to utilize noscript and adblock edge to block nearly all online advertising. This is not to say, I don't disable my adblocker on select sites that show promotions. I actually prefer useful advertisements that show up as banners. That is not to suggest companies should abuse these systems either. If I click your ad, its because I'm interested to read more. If I ignore it, it should close after a reasonable period of time and not stalk me up/down the page. Can you image if marketing departments did this within their physical store locations. That would be like sales associates walking with me up and down the isles showing me an advertisement for women's underwear. It's not relevant to me as a guy, but you keep showing it to me. Worse, I'm so busy telling this person to leave me alone and rushing to get away that I overload a lot of items on that row that I probably would have bought. Within a week, I'm shopping across the street at your competitors even if it costs me $2-4 dollars more for the same items. What has your marketing department accomplished? Give customer credit. They do look at your sales page. They can decide if those items are things they want. Hell you can doctor up the images to make that discount on steak look appetizing.

6. siljaline

I did Tweet @ https://twitter.com/AdblockPlus the same : as to why the announcement was represented by: The Adblock Plus Community :cautious:

They are evidently cashing in on the Twitter IPO and want in on some of the ad revenue. Despite these rather disturbing news - I will continue with the software, for now.

7. siljaline

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Same here, as long as I have the freedom to build my custom block lists exactly as I want. However, I still believe that they are promoting themselves in a way that's not very consistent with their original mission...

9. siljaline

This is huge public relations misfire for the folks at ABP. Especially (among many others) having signed off the Blog announcement: "The Adblock Plus Community" The latter will strike a chord in the ABP user Community. And yes, I won't be intimidated into using lists and subs that I don't want to use. There will be a fair bit more fallout on this I suspect.

10. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Don't disagree. Users are naturally going to respond to this change. Unfortunately, I could see this drive some people away. Not everyone is committed to putting in the effort. Seems like we should have seen this coming, consider there was an article a couple months back on them using advertising to combat advertising. Not entirely on board for this change either, but we'll just have to wait and see how this pans out. Maybe if enough users complain we could convince the developer to reconsider or at least give users an option to opt-out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.