Adaware - What's MRU ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CartoonBoy, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CartoonBoy

CartoonBoy Registered Member

What's MRU ?

Attached Files:

2. dog

dog Guest

Most Recently Used ;)
    Ps. Ad-Aware SE is currently on build 105 ;)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  3. CartoonBoy

Thanks mate. Should I delete these? Sorry fairly new to this game :doubt:

4. dog

dog Guest

That's a personal decision. If you don't want to leave traces of what you've accessed, by all means do so. ;) It won't cause any harm.

But if you like the list of recently used apps, in the start menu, or you access your documents thru a recent doc list, don't because it will erase these lists.

So the decision is really up to you, depending on how much you want to protect your privacy.

If you want to know what I do? I do it after every session. ;)

Steve

Ps. If you do want to upgrade to AD-Aware build 105 (which I would recommend), select one of the mirrors on Lavasofts Download Page - http://www.lavasoft.de/

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

It's just the stuff you've looked at recently......get rid of it anyway.

6. CartoonBoy

Thanks Guys, BIG help!
    ....O.....update yep! :ninja:

7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

A post was made a while back asking if much different was made to your system by removing these MRU files. We found that there was no noticable different performance wise to deleting them compared to not.

Jimbob

8. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

I have a small program by Javacool called MRU-Blaster which cleans out MRU's every 15 minutes. I had no idea that this clean up makes no difference to system performance though. Good to know !

Hard Rocker !! :)

9. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

It probably will make some difference but it was not particually noticable.

Jimbob

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

MRUBlaster is a good one to use because it is configurable, you can get rid of the bulk of MRUs whilst retaining the useful ones (such as the column of icons of recently used apps in the Start menu). A combination of CCleaner and MRUBlaster is quite sufficient for my needs, so I have set AdAware not to look for or delete MRUs - even though it can find some the others miss.

If you have a build up of rubbish on your system it will affect performance - though it would have to be a big build up of weeks or months to become really noticeable (depending on your system!). Good practice dictates a regular clear-up, and I like to do it after each session. But it is a matter of personal choice.

For me AdAware has a more important job to do than hunting down MRUs, which needlessly clog up the logs it makes!

11. CartoonBoy

:D :D Thanks again everyone, that's a great rundown. :D :D The more I can learn the better, I am an advocate for security after all :ninja: , and the more I know the more I can snd on to others to make it cleaner for evryone, no matter how small the impact may be :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.