adaware terminates spybot and process guard is helpless to stop it

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by vam, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Process Guard can only provide complete termination protection if Secure Message Handling is enabled on the protected application. Otherwise the application can be shutdown with a WM_CLOSE message (which has the same effect as clicking the X button on the top right of the window). If an application has no windows (e.g. Windows services running in the background) then it cannot be affected in this way, but this does not apply to Spybot.

SMH (known as CMH in PG version 2) certainly has scope for improvement but should work with most applications in its current form and can also be used to guard against configuration changes (e.g. disabling a firewall or setting its policy to "allow everything") if these are available via a menu option.

Process Guard does not (yet) provide "Windows shutdown protection" (which would prevent applications like RegTest from restarting the system without your explicit say-so) so anyone wishing to see this added should post in the ProcessGuard v3.xxx Suggestions / Wishlist thread.

2. snowfire

snowfire Registered Member

Hello! Everyone,

I have been having a pack of problems starting with Ad-Aware. I do not know If Ad-Aware caused most or all of my problems. The kb887742 hack...I mean patch was not very "friendly" either! And, though, at first I thought PG had gone south on me...as it turns out PG gave me the power and control I needed to deal with multiple issues.

I am the one who posted "Windows Processes Not Logging" here. I will be posting there (after I finish this) about a near complete resolution regarding my issues. A complete resolution regarding PG.

PG is a deceptively simple yet very powerful tool. I have learned to be very careful and subsequently have gained even greater control.

If it were not for PG I would still be at the mercy of the issues I was experiencing!!!!

snowfire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.