Adaware Pro or PestPatrol?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ChrisP, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Which of these is best at protecting from adware etc etc?

Also - I notice with Pest Patrol that it does not scan inside archives (I have tested it on XP zip files and even when set to scan all files - as this is the setting they asy will scan archives - it fails to detect any malware - but it will if it is not in a zip file. -Has anyone else folun this?

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

I'm registered for both AdAware Pro and PestPatrol and I think that AdAware is far better for adware or spyware. PestPatrol is better for trojans or keyloggers but it is pretty poor in that respect compared to TDS (and presumeably TrojanHunter and BOClean).

I looked in PestPatrol for any means of scanning within archives but I cannot see any option that would enable it and, likewise, I found no indication on PestPatrol's site that it could do this.

Although I am registered for it I almost never use PestPatrol because it is kind of flaky (in my opinion, has false positives and because I have many networking tools on my laptop it is prone to alert on the presence of many of them).

Hope this helps

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Dan ;) ,

We both have NetScanTools (you the Pro version, me the standard one).
    Yep, PP does alert for it.
    But it is the nature of PP doing this:
    PP was/is first aimed at system-admins.
    And you can use NetScanTools for things that PP warns about.
    I myself don't consider that a false positive, certainly not ;)

Cheers, Jan.

PS: I too have PP, AA-Pro, BOClean, TDS-3, SpyCop, SpyBot S&D, etc. etc.
    PS-2: PP is not running resident here on my machine.

4. JayK

JayK Poster

I agree, however it's false positive prone, even if you don't use networking tools. Just look at some of the posts in this forum and you can see a lot of questions about false detections.

I agree with the rest of your advice.

5. Flaircky

Flaircky Guest

Hi,

I am using PestPatrol v4.4.3.24 and Ad-Aware 6.0.6.181 and no one of them is able to detect the pest that had put the "Dictionary" and "Enciclopedia" in the right button menu of my mouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.