AdAware picks up SpywareNo as a reg entry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JemW, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JemW

JemW Registered Member

I have a major concern - so major I'm going to stay on line here until I get an answer.

I have rebuilt my machine - format, XP SP2 install and that's ALL, other than Lavasoft AdAware and Spyware Blaster (both I which I have used for years). There is NOTHING else on this machine. Can someone explain to me why, then, immediately following the installation of SpywareBlaster, AdAware picks up SpywareNo as a reg entryo_O

I am completely taken aback by this. I really hope someone has a plausible explanation.

Thanks.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: Serious issue with SpywareBlaster

Very much so and has been known by Lavasoft for almost a week causing much extra work for the already over worked HJT analyzers :mad:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15430650~days=9999~start=20#15466080

4. JemW

JemW Registered Member

Thank you so much for the helpful replies, and the links to other posts / forums. The key post in the end was on the Microsoft Support Forum that states (not quoting exactly) that if you hide your desktop icons AdAware 'finds' SpywareNo, and if you 'Show Desktop Items', then 'remove' the SpywareNo reg entry, it will NOT show up in subsequent scans with AdAware. This checks out here exactly as described.

Bizarre, but it clearly is an F/P. I shall now be looking for an alternative scanner as Lavasoft have (not for the first time) caused me to be 'spooked' with an F/P and resulted in me unneccessarily rebuilding my machine to 'get rid' of so called spyware. They have a lot to answer for. If you folks have a solid recommendation for an alternative scanner - preferably free - I'd be very happy to hear about it.

Thanks again.

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Re: Serious issue with SpywareBlaster

Deja vu... caused me to waste someones time on a HJT log about a month ago over at the Gladiator forums with a previous AdAware F/P. :cautious:

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.