Adaware New Build 2899

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Paul Wilders, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

Any clue what this new release is all about?

It is so dang hard to get any information nowadays on these releases. For awhile it was simply a nuisence. But now it is really starting to concern me. The new builds are coming out without warning or explanation more often than sig files ever did.

3. Paul Wilders

Alas, no Eagle1. Noticed just a size difference: previous version 902322 kb, this new version 887298 kb.

I can see your point. We have a deal to be informed the moment something new will be released; unfortunately doesn't work that well. In case it would, and an explanation would be provided, all what be easier for sure.

regards.

paul

4. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi Paul!

Are you referring to the reference file, here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

which says 'Ad-aware reference file 105-11-04-02

Otherwise, please provide a direct link as I could not locate the new build mentioned by you.

Thanks

o_O

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I was a bit lazy with downloading/installing AA+ for which I got a special download link via email some days ago.
    But very recently I did.
    And indeed it says:
    release 5.71 build 2.899
    ref.file 105-11.04.2002

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi WE Sim,

For visitors of this forum, go to the Lavasoft Section at
    http://www.wilders.org/downloads.htm

Edited:
    Oops, I'm sorry, that page says: Adaware v5.71b2.898

7. marti

marti Registered Member

New build is not available in the Wilders' d/l area.  I just checked.

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

You're right, Marti!
    I was just editing my own posting after I saw it; sorry!!!

9. Paul Wilders

WE Sim,

Nope. First link I provided works fine; just checked - and the file is there ready for download.

Marti,

Correct; it's not up - yet. One of our guys takes care of these things once a day. It will be up soon.

regards.

paul

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Wild Guess Department: I've read a few posts where even the  pay version of DAP got deleted by AA - it's possible that they had to quickly change the program and drop DAP detection entirely. Pete

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

But even the pay version is questionable from everything I'm reading too. The EULA allegedly states it gathers data from MTM's quote at Becky. That constitutes a reason to target it IMO.

But regardless, the fact no notice is being given on any changes that just keep happening and happening is what's bothering me most. Even if users don't agree with LS position on whether something should be targeted or not LS should at least let folks know what is going on before or during the release. Not leave folks guessing...IMO the lack of information is causing more problems than anything else now.

12. Paul Wilders

Eagle1,

you are referring to the privacy policy in the EULA from DAP (Speedbit):

which indeed disqualifies the software as being spyware, since users agree when installing.

I'm afraid that's true..

regards.

paul

13. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

I agree that it may "technically" be disqualified as spyware because reference to data gathering is in the EULA, paid or otherwise. But that doesn't excuse it from necessarily being a target IMO. If that was the case then there are a number of other "spyware" targets that should be removed too because they also state they will data gather in their EULA. The issue becomes IMO whether they are being forthright about their disclosure. IMO they are not as is the case with other targets.
    The fact folks pay for it is not relevent...although it disturbs me to think the number of alleged pay users of this app may have an influence on whether it is targeted or not, or whether it is identified as spyware (or whatever term used) or not.  :(

It is apparent the same problem keeps coming up...a clearcut definition for spyware, adware and the newest jargon scumware needs to be established.

14. Paul Wilders

Just received an email from Coldmoon/LS, subject "announcement" containing a link to the following:

regards.

paul

15. Ann

Ann Registered Member

I can see that there is some confusion regarding certain matters.
    I will do my best to explain to you how a release process works and the
    difference between an update and a new build.

Any update that is ready to be released will be available for download from our main download page.
    Together with up to date information regarding the latest release, that is
    presented clearly to everyone who wishes to view it on our main site.
    Users who have purchased the Plus version will receive an email
    notification containing all needed details.
    Official mirror sites are informed before it is made public so we can
    assure that they all have the correct files ready for download, once that has been completed
    we will make an announcment on the Lavasoft support board.
    In addition to this we offer email support to everyone who has questions
    or comments regarding the products we offer.

Difference between an update and a new build:

A new build is not the same as an update.
    A new build simply means that code has been recompiled.
    If code is modified recompilation is necessary.
    Even if there were only 2 bytes modified, we will increase the build number.
    An UPDATE would mean a change to the version number itself and not only an increased build number.
    On our main and mirror sites, the most recent official Build is always available for download.

We are very active at the moment, and tend to keep our current and coming products up to date. We are working on several other projects aswell that are currently in alpha and beta state.

An announcement has been available at our board for some time now.

I fail to see any reason to be concernd.

We are glad to have the ability to further develop and improve Ad-aware and will continue to do so.

Thank you!

With kind regards

Ann - Christine Åkerlund
    bee@lavasoft.de

16. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

I for one appreciate the efforts LS is putting into making their product better.

However, I cannot agree that notification has been timely. The new build was not posted anywhere that I have seen. And the announcement at the LS forum was many hours after people were downloading the new build and new reflist. Folks were questioning what was going on all over the place without a response from LS.
    This needs to improve greatly IMO.

Spyware/adware has always been a controversial subject with many interpretations. And it will only get more difficult as new methods are used by these ad maniacs to install their tools and subvert notification. IMO notification needs to be clear and well in advance of any release.

It might also be a good idea for LS and any other companies/developers who are offering these tools to provide a concise company definition as to what is considered spyware/adware/scumware (or whatever) and what will constitute a target and why. If a general agreed upon consensus cannot be reached on definition (which I doubt can happen) then it is up to developers to provide their own definition.  IMO It will reduce confusion and quell target demands from users that cannot or will not be achieved. It will also provide users a basis in which to consider the applications use, what to expect in the future and what can be asked for of the developer. In the short and long run all will be winners. No developer is going to be able to do it all. Why not give us users an idea of what can be expected from each of you and why. We as users won't then be looking and/or demanding what is not achievable. And developers will have a much easier time achieving their own goals instead of reacting to unreachable/undesirable demands.

Just my 2 cents and my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.