Adaware is bogus, imho

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by har, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. har

har Registered Member

I have had nothing but problems when running Adaware. I don't understand why no one has busted them. They're like the your "friendly" local neighborhood thug. Sure, they'll "protect" you from spyware, malware, etc. In exchange, they get to place a huge spyware program of their own for themselves to track everything you do. This program totally mucked up my machine, at best slowing everything down and sucking up processing resources. I had a hell of a time getting it off my computer.

Yeah, sure it's free. Ad-aware is the classic example of "you get what you pay for." NOT recommended.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi har,

Do you have a link for us to where at the LavaSoft forums you explained your problems to them?

Regards,

Pieter

3. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Greetings HAR

Gosh, you look kinda upset......having computer problems, huh...yeah that will get a person upset alright. You made some very BOLD statements in your post.....but those statements wont resolve your problems.....give it some thought........all you will achieve is to ruin your credibilty.
    But I've been known to rant now and then.....I always regret it later...

Here are some actual facts: all of which can be proven........

At present I am using a 200mhz computer...two AV's installed..one running....a firewall installed.....well, to save time...there are 16 programs running at the moment of this post......an resources are 76% free and GDI 89% free.....have got two java applets running.....an this webpage open......on a 200mhz computer.......with ADAWEAR INSTALLED!!!!!!

Now Har, judge the facts for yourself. An if by chance....entirely your choice of course...after judging the facts..if you decide that your problem is not Adawear related......do the right thing.......

Regards
    TheSnowGuy...aka snowman

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

That is indeed a bold statement. :eek: I would like to see some evidence to back this one up. I have to agree with TheSnowGuy on this one. I've used AdAware for years and have had nothing but positive experiences. :) I also have SpySweeper and S&D installed as well. If AdAware did install spyware, curious as to why these two fine apps didn't alert me to their presence!

5. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Are you talking about AD-Aware 6 by Lavasoft? http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware

If that is not where you downloaded the program, then please give a link to where you did get it from. There are many fake programs that use names that sound like Ad-Aware to trick you. Many of them do install spyware.

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Har-

I always like when someone calls a spade a spade, but in this case i believe you are putting the blame at the wrong feet. I agree that a free lousy program is no bargain, however there is a reason why you don't here people complaining about ad-aware, and that is that the program is one of the oldest and most trusted programs in spyware removal, paid or free.

I, consider it one of the safest programs to use because it is pretty much a no-brainer to reinstall what every you remove if it causes problems. As for resource consumption, it consumes very little, depending on the settings that you select. (The interface is a little annoying to me because you have to figure out to click on the little picture of a gear to set the options-why can't they just have a menu?-but one you know, you know)

i do not go for start up automatically, i do not go for update automatically, you do have a choice for "scanning priority" which will allow it to run in the background using less resources (at least in theory) Basically, I click the icon to start it, and I click check for updates, I normally use "smart scan" with deep registry scan, or what ever they call it. It checks over 50,000 files and I am done, all inside of 5 minutes.

Lastly, if you have problems with not having enough computer resources, the bad news is that you probably do have some problems, and I'm not too suprised if they turn out to be malware related...could be corrupted system files, or windows problems. I have to say...the very people you have just criticized would probably be more than happy to help you find the problem. Ad-aware doesnt fix everything, but it is established as one of the first steps in fixing a victimized computer, because running it, and a good antivirus program eliminates many of the posibilities...the next step is hard because it involves asking for help. Running Hijack this, and realizing someone else has to help you interpret the results. I think that might be right...it's pretty awesome, though, when you get everything fixed!

- HandsOff

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Nick - Good point! :D Completely slipped my mind. I have seen apps masquerading as AdAware before. That's probably Har's problem.

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Har my friend,

Please don't get upset over Adaware cos if the truths known you ain't got it...I would be willing to bet you that what you've D/Ld onto your OS is a malware infested look-a-like that bears no resemblance to the real thing...The real Adaware is priceless mate.....so please stay cool and take advice from our mods etc., ... I guarantee you'll be delighted with the results.

Best regards and Welcome to the best Board, Cochise, :cool:

9. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

Hello har,

Have you been to Ad-Aware Forum Lavasoft Support Forum to ask any question about your problem before posting your topic.

I am just curious is all since your statement is very harsh about a product that has a great repetation in the Security World, with out giving us enough details to go on or post a link to where you downloaded Adaware.

I just hope this was not a eMule or P2P download that har received. If it was there is no telling what he received.

10. txsidewinder1

txsidewinder1 Registered Member

11. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Might have been a troll post. In any event, I think the statement has been addressed.

12. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

If it was, i don't think the troll got his toll.

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.