Adaware found something Ewido didn't

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just want to let anyone who cares to know, that Lavasoft Adaware just found Spyware Nuker on my PC, after an Ewido Anti-Spyware scan didn't. Now the only way I know how I may have got this on my PC in the first place is that my wife somehow recently downloaded a Starware Tool Bar for Internet Explorer even though we both use FireFox. I found the Tool Bar today with a program called AutoRuns. Maybe it has been there for awhile, and simply neither Ewido or SuperAntiSpyware, which I replaced Adaware with last year, found it. The only other thing is that it's a False Positive. No matter I think I will be keeping Adaware on board for awhile. Take care.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It doesn't seem like a FP:-

http://www.nuker.com/container/details/starware_toolbar.php

But don't be too surprised that AdAware actually found something, it's a good app; unless you've been reading some of those ridiculous threads slamming AdAware as being practically worthless. Actually it is worth a bit more than the opinions of some of its detractors are worth!

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would blame the wife too. A guilty woman is prepared to do anything to make it right.

4. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Ad-Aware is a good program, same as Spybot. Why some people keep on saying they are bad when first of all they are free, clean, update frequently (Spybot less often) and their scanning capability is as good (or even better) as other spyware products.

I still keep Ad-Aware in my arsenal.

Duke, women are like children sometimes. Just keep an eye on her :)

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

LOL. Thanks folks. I have to say though, that I will be married 27 years in November and the only thing I blame her for is nagging. LOL. What about SUPERAntispyware and Spyware Terminator, any opinions on either of those being better than Adaware?

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nope, adaware tears them both up. We just think that since a product has been around a log time that it is history. When in reality it is just the opposite.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont know if theyre better but they certainly are worth using.

spyware terminator gives u free realtime protection and superantispyware, just like adaware, has a free on-demand version. in addition, its paid version gives u excellent realtime protection that wont eat up a lot of resources.

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Keep an eye on this one:

Warning: Multiple False/Positives have been reported with this update: SE1R123 12.09.2006

Lavasoft has been notified and more will be posted here when available

dozleng

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.