Ad Pop-Up - No Virus Found

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by baumgrenze, Aug 31, 2015.

1. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Registered Member

While searching yesterday I had a screen pop-up. It was headed "August Opinion Survey>>>AT&T U-verse California." The associated URL was:

http://2015survey 'dot' com-visitor3t3o 'dot' link/

(I hope the 'dot' edits in the URL will prevent it from opening.)

AT&T had installed a U-verse gateway recently to establish FTTN service for me with Sonic, so I cautiously poked my way down through it. Here is the list of service premiums they offered.

Anti-Aging System
    Keranique Hair Regrowth for Women
    Permium #-Cig Vape Kit
    Pure Garcinia Cambogia Weight Loss Kit
    Neuro Elite - Brain Supplement
    Getting Sleepy - All Natural Sleep Aid
    Pearl-e-Whites - Teeth Whitening System
    High Potency Wrinkle Reduction Cream

I left no personal information other than the numeric URL of my router which they harvested. I don't doubt that they wanted me to "claim my prize."

I was so offended by the list of premiums that I sent a note to Sonic support and was told that I was infected with "Data Room 2015 Survey " virus or browser add-on. I ran Malwarebytes and found nothing. I checked all my browser add-ons and found nothing. I searched and tried to connect "Data Room 2015 Survey " and the 2015survey.com URL above and found nothing.

I thought I'd document my experience here and ask if I should continue to search for a virus or take any other steps.

thanks

baumgrenze

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It's a bit worrying that MBAM couldn't find this PUP.

4. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Registered Member

I was brought back to this post while doing maintenance today.

I've not experienced a second instance of the unwanted survey. Could there be a version that runs once as one is web-surfing?

Here is what I found in my browser search history

(User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0 SeaMonkey/2.35
    Build identifier: 20150827182544)

FWIW I learned that I could copy a line from the history file, paste it into Word where it appeared as the 'text description' of a hypertext link. That let me select the link and 'edit' the hypertext which let me copy the entire URL in the edit box, cancel the edit, and paste it.

I found this url just before the 'survey' popped up:

"http://wdboot.hol.es/cari/6_AWG_Copper_Stranded_Wire.html"

just before that was:

"http://connect5364.com/ctrd/click/newjump1.do?affiliate=66305&subid=nosubid&terms=hol.es 6 THHN Building Wire The Home Depot Wdboot.hol.es Blog&ai=IBMq6lU2f2ecgtGWdaKx8LwYy1y78Rqwu2xnOzPWnFCC4s7ihFjHs3Sa8xZfh-vkI7JzGFzuKsSSUMM"

It all traces back to this Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&q=+thhn+6/1+stranded+"cerrowire.com"+"copper"+"19+strand"&oq=+thhn+6/1+stranded+"cerrowire.com"+"copper"+"19+strand"&gs_l=serp.3...51089.51089.0.51348.1.1.0.0.0.0.118.118.0j1.1.0.

Google search for [thhn 6/1 stranded "cerrowire.com" "copper" "19 strand"]

7 results (0.25 seconds)

~ Removed Posted Search Results. Already Included in Above Google link ~

Does this mean anything to malware experts?

I did scroll down through 'add/remove programs' carefully and also searched the terms in the blog link. The list is mercifully short. I found nothing I thought was 'odd.' There was " Everything 1.3.4.686 " and "7-Zip 9.22beta" which have no publisher but make sense to me.

I concluded that it might be a "useful utility" if MS allowed on to select all the information in the 'add/remove programs' display and paste it into a document/spreadsheet for searching, etc. Copy and paste would allow quick searches.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks again,

baumgrenze

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
  5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

By blog link, do you mean MalwareTips? Well, they did state this at the end of that section:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.