Ad Muncher: To munch or not to munch?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by qpok, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qpok

qpok Registered Member

Is Ad Muncher still a worthy purchase? Somme comments floating around the internet suggest that the program development is very slow and new features are implemented at idle pace.

To quote one review from FileForum:
    (http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/1031644604/1/view)

Can anybody recommend a good alternative? The ad blocking in Outpost Security Suite is somewhat effective but I'd like to have some dedicated ad blocker software to run on top of that.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi there, I actually liked AdMuncher and it certainly did the job extremely well. I don't know anything about development pace so I can't comment there. As far as alternatives, on IE you can use IE7Pro which does a fairly good job, and on Firefox you have the superb AdBlock Plus. As much as I liked AdMuncher, it's shell extension conflicted with some security apps and caused problems for me, plus, why pay 30+ dollars for something that can be done for free?

3. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think this is quite strange, in the link almost every review is either 5 or 1. There's practically no 2, 3 or 4.

Back to topic. If Outpost's is effecitve, why not just use that? I don't think dedicated ad blockers are really necessary.

Which browser are you using?

Thanks

4. qpok

qpok Registered Member

Hi,

I think I'll be moving to Opera now that I have Outpost filtering ads. Although Outpost does a decent job I still bump into ads from time to time. That is why I think one more filtering software would come in handy.

And by dedicated ad blocker I meant software like Ad Muncher that filters all the HTTP traffic, not just program specific add-ons like Adblock Plus.

Thanks for your replies.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

definatly, to munch.......

i use it, so it would be stupid for me not to recommend it.

Untitled.jpg

ad muncher is fast/instant/automatic, cleans up websites very well for your general viewing, but just remember to disable protection if you require some pop-ups, as it kills em all. :D

runs nicely in the background, very little ram usage and no cpu issues.

enjoy.

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive used admuncher for a couple of years now ,and think its a great program.I can block ads /popups in all browsers with it,use it to block dodgy sites from the kids ,get ad updates everyday,get support almost instantly from the program using livechat or email,all with no slowdown .Its easy to disable and shutdown if i want it that way.It is one of my better purchases over the years.....hell its amusing just to watch the cow munching in the system tray too :p
    ellison

7. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

There is an Adblock List for Opera here:
    http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/
    Follow the instructions to install it. I am also an opera user, and i recommand it over Admuncher.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

admuncher is a very decent program.
    so small you wont even notice it except the no adverts on webpages.
    i have the icon set so it only shows in my system tray when it is filtering a program.
    the cow munching animation is classic
    i say buy it
    yes it costs money but its worth it it has lots of custom options.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I've been happy with Ad Muncher too. Definitions update daily but the program upgrades do move forward verrrrrry slowly. The reason I wanted AM was that it worked with any browser. I didn't want too load/maintain 3 separate ad blocking apps for IE, FF and Opera.

10. faterider

faterider Registered Member

Proxomitron. It's the best as far as I know. And free.
    Use the latest config from Sidki (http://www.geocities.com/sidki3003/prox-down.html) or Grypen.

Just google for more info ;)

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I agree that the Proxomitron is good but I finally dropped it. In my case, I ran the Proxo for a while but had some issues with certain pages and had no clue as to how to fix them. I asked a few questions here and there and wasn't greeted very warmly by experienced Proxo users (a definite elitist attitude came through.) So my experience was that if you can do programming, the Proxo kicks butt. But if you need help, you probably should look elsewhere.

Another alternative to AM might be SuperAdBlocker (same company as SuperAntiSpyware.) I know SAB is undergoing a re-write this year so it may be worth holding off for now.

One thing for sure is that Ad Muncher and SAB both offer excellent support. I've used support from both companies and been very happy.

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Another plus for admuncher is that you dont have to alter any proxy settings in your browser for it to work ,as it filters at a lower level.For the novice or for those who like set it and forget it ,then admuncher is a good choice.
    ellison

13. faterider

faterider Registered Member

I also agree that there is something like elitism around Proxo. And being unacquainted with the matter myself I've put a proxy button in Opera and Firefox so whenever stumble to a page that is somehow broken just click it and bypass the filtering to see it. In my case it happens fairly rare.

Thanks for SuperAdBlocker. I'll have a look at it.

14. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I have been munching for years and completely recommend Ad Muncher. It filters ads out of your email, IM programs and everything else your browser ad blockers DO NOT. You can't beat that. Its a 5/5 winner, all the others are 2nd place or the 1st loser.

15. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i cant surf the net without ad muncher, i totally love this program and i use it for years, for me is the best ad blocker software and recommend it to any one

16. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Ad muncher sets the standard in advert blocking software. Nothing touches it. People complain of slow development, but it hardly needs any more since it's already does the job phenomenally.

17. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

AdMuncher is indeed good, but it can't filter ads on https pages. AdBlock Plus on the other hand can. On modern PC's you can run both and be pretty sure you won't see any ads.

18. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Admuncher is one of the few programs I paid for within hours of using it. It is absolutely essential. The few quirks it has are eay enough to live with.

The only key feature I miss is the ability to not block on a subnet/intranet. The slow pace of development is frustating, but at least it has still remained small and fast with a loyal following, and not bloatware like almost every app these days.

I have reported many sites and submitted custom filters and have always received prompt replies, sometimes even on a Sun night. IMO that kind of support is invaluable.

19. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Buy it... I have two licenses :)

Best money I have spent in a long time.

20. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

AdMuncher is simply the best. I used Proxomitron, Privoxy, and so on before purchasing AdMuncher. AdMucher is the most convenient and most powerful one.

The best thing is that I purchased AdMuncher early enough that my license is a life-time license.

21. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

I Munched for free...

With the Trial Pay offer at the AdMuncher website:

https://www.admuncher.com/register.shtml

I chose to trial the SnapFish [digital photos by HP] offer...even got 20 free prints...just had to pay for the postage for the prints...which was under Au$5.00.

The SnapFish prints were great and arrive promptly as did the full user key for Ad Muncher.

A great deal IMHO.

:cool: Cheers!

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I highly recomend AdMuncher. :thumb:
    alloucho's suggestion in post 7 is a good one for Opera also, I used that option briefly.
    But AdMuncher is by far much better IMO.

23. Auron

Auron Registered Member

Ad Muncher is an amazing piece of software, top notch ad blocking in any browser or program out of the box, friendly support, very little resource usage.

Just purchased my license yesterday and I am very happy with it.

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've had it for two years and I can't see one single flaw in it. I have however noticed that in some websites (it happened 6 months ago, it's fine now) with some browsers (Firefox, Opera) I had to disable filtering in order to activate videos.

As I mentioned it hasn't happened since then, and I'm using Google Chrome and Firefox without any problems. Highly recommended (It's not free, but you pay only once).

25. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I think it's not true anymore, unfortunately. Or am I wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.