Ad Muncher: Remove social buttons.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JeffreyCole, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Might have found something:

http://arstechnica.com/. If you hover over the Twitter button, a small "Tweet" button/badge pops up. No other social button in that row pops anything up. This line of buttons is just a scroll or two down the front page.

Attached Files:

• C.PNG
      C.PNG
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  2. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

These two, both owned by AOL, were so complex and involved, I decided to remove them by default.

So all of the social crap is ripped out for build 4415.

And probably other AOL properties as well.

Let me know if any AOL sites need more attention.

3. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

All 6 have a little popup when you hover over them.

The first 3 actually trigger connection to the 3rd party site.

I've disabled this connection but left the 3 links..

Like the AOL sites this has been done for the default list build 4416.

4. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

5. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

minor update to dat.

All sites mentioned on this thread are clean now apart from the ones that will be fixed in the default list.

6. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

4415 is out.

The sites I mentioned previously now have their social stuff removed by default.

With 4415 and the latest dat from my first post, all sites mentioned in this thread are clean.

Please report all issues.

7. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Three more for your viewing pleasure:

Neowin - Ad Muncher removes Facebook and Twitter, yet reddit remains Link Screenshot

Guardian - Facebook, Google Plus and Email to the right of the headline Link Screenshot

Daily Mail - An entire box of social buttons below the main article Link Screenshot

8. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

dat file updated for The Guardian.

the other two are just links and don't need removal.

9. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

10. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

11. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

4417 is out as well as a new dat.

fixes all around. :)

12. The Seeker

Using the latest dat, I've gone through all the links in this thread and found them all to be clean. Great work Jeff! :D

13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

14. The Seeker

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK thanks for the clarification, didn't know it. Jeff sent me today a link to this thread so I am a newbie as regards the social buttons :)

16. The Seeker

17. Bodhitree

You guys do realize, AdblockPlus does not remove *ANY* of these, right? Most of what you guys are complaining about aren't ads, but are innocuous buttons or links that should just be ignored.

I saw MMan complaining about having to 'tweak' admuncher too much so he quit messing with it. The reality is - Admuncher takes care of virtually 100% of the ads if you simply install it and leave it alone. Adblock Plus doesn't remove nearly as much in my experience. Admuncher significantly increases browser speed, while ABP offers a nominal speed increase - at best. AM does the work of 2-3 extensions, reducing drag and system impact of the browser.

For MOST customers, installing the product and forgetting about it will solve virtually all of their issues. There really isn't a need to keep tweaking it, although you can do it if you have a case of OCD, what's the point?

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Newsflash, your reality and the reality of others can be different. Just like your "reality" about Chromium compared to FF/Opera/whatever. S**t happens, life happens, we have different experiences. As to your "reality" that ABP won't remove the links, think again and ask others around here. I'm sure things have been different for some because of the whole s**t happens/life happens deal, but in my experience, ABP using the Annoyances list and Anti-social list wipes out almost all of these innocuous links and things you don't think matter. My "reality" is that if I see a line of big ass social "links" following me down a page as I scroll, they're to be killed since they are annoying whether or not they have any privacy implications.

Why am I responding to both your posts about being wrong about AM? Because you're pulling the same s*** that some others around here do, judging the choices of others and basing their knowledge and intelligence on your experience, whether its a browser thread or AdMuncher. Don't be "that guy", just accept sometimes things don't work for others the way they work for you. That's all I'll say here since it's Jeffrey's business thread and not a post specifically about AM.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  19. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Social links that move and follow you will be removed even if they are only a collection of links.

Every site that's been reported so far that fits that criteria has been blocked.

The entire point of this thread is to find them all, so feel free to report any that move or follow you down the page.

They will be removed forthwith.

20. guest

guest Guest

adblockedge with these, will remove all of it

least I have not seen any of it

Attached Files:

21. Bodhitree

and browsing will slow. ABP developer recommends not using more than one or two lists - by the way.

I just tested page loads with ABP, No Adblock, and Admuncher. Admuncher loads were twice as fast as with ABP, and ABP slowed as I added subs. Something to consider as we are talking about port80 level blocking vs browser blocking, which means with ABP you actually 'download' and 'take in' the advertisement before it is filtered in comparison to stopping it at the front door. It's like killing a Robber on your front porch vs killing him in your living room. Until AM has HTTPS scanning, I use FacebookBlock on the machines where people use Facebook. Otherwise I just roll with it as default, and speed is very very noticeably increased.

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You're doing a great job, Jeffrey, really :thumb: No offense was meant towards you. I'll be keeping an eye on this and the other AM thread you're participating in.

23. guest

guest Guest

""and browsing will slow""

I have not notice that
    matter of fact without the delay of the page stalling Ad Muncher
    is causing me I think adblock is far faster

If you notice I am not using duplicate filters, each one is for a purpose

24. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Excellent work men, much appreciated :thumb:

25. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

large update for cracked.com

everyone should update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.