Ad Muncher Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by arsenaloyal, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I am a bit confused how they cannot have some release schedule or similar. It is utterly impossible for a company (regardless of business) to be developing some product without having a release schedule with the release milestones, i.e. at least alpha, beta, release candidate and final build. This plan is a must and the bible that has to be adhered. Based on this schedule a company stands up its financial plan. It is unimaginable to manage business without so elementary rules. There is only one explanation and yeah probably an excuse for Ad Muncher folks, it is a two-men company that behaves more like a volunteer than a company with all basic processes, procedures and so on.

2. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

There was talk of a beta being released at around this time last year, so don't expect it any time soon.

3. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Assuming it is a complete total code rewrite,i would much rather be patient and wait until it is ready.I've seen far too many rushed applications that should have never seen the light of day.I don't think there are too many people that work any harder than Jeff at admuncher and JoeJ over at Webroot.If 5.0 is not ready,it's not ready.No point on dwelling on it too much.Having said all that,i would totally understand someone's reluctance to renew based on something the program lacks.Everyone has different expectations and demands.I have already renewed for 1 pc and will be renewing another 1 next month.If it's a must at the time that ads be blocked i just switch to an alternative browser to ie11.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is there any proof that a re-write that filters https is even going to happen? As of this point there's reason to call it the Loch Ness Release...or Bigfoot 5.0...

5. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

We've been in business since 1999.

If we weren't trustworthy we wouldn't still be around.

Vast amounts of code have been rewritten.

6. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

adblock pluse upgrade his extension to work in IE11 .... tested and its working GREAT !

7. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

8. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

amateurs who want to take advantage of the offer should know AM doesn't work with IE11. and, knowing that the https filtering is still not implemented, after all these years of waiting, i guess IE11 won't be filtered for quite some time...

LE: plus, i was shocked to see that adblock is blocking ads AM didn't.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  9. Newby

Newby Registered Member

In IE11 you don't have a problem, because it can be done with IE11's own mechanisms.

For enhanced tracking protection, use custom privacy policy, works perfectly (uses IE medium level smart settings for first party tracking and sets block all to third party), thanks to Windows_Security : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=356987

I contacted Kees (Windows_Security) and he advised to reduce standard TPL from 10 to 3. So this works as an additional filter on top of the custom policy, This works better as the tracking list per company because it looks at the privacy policies of cookie itself with an additional maximum restriction of the good guys). So I only have advertisement filter of AdblockPlus added in IE11.

Attached Files:

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'm essentially in the same boat...could have renewed at 1/2 price but considering AM has had no significant upgrade in years there's really nothing that makes this stand out from what's available for free. Actually some free alternatives are better overall. This AM product may be headed the way of the Woolly Mammoth.

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Greetings guys. I read this, and really wanted to comment (as a lurker previously)..

Personally I think they need to start talking about v5, showing interface screenshots, anything.. I have been told for roughly two years that v5 was 'just around the corner'. In 2012 when I purchased a license I was stunned to see no HTTPS filtering, and when I inquired with Admuncher I was told that v5 would 'definitely' be released in 2013. Come to find out, v5 has been promised for roughly 4 years.

At this point we have no data on v5, no screenshots, not even a alpha, or beta version to test it. All we keep hearing is 'soon', or 'working hard on it', yet they keep collecting our money - year after year.

The problem for me is there isn't any effective alternative to it right now. Admuncher clearly boosts surfing speed, saves bandwidth, and simply 'works' without any issue. What's a guy to doo_O?

I have 10 lifetime licenses for Adguard but I found it to actually slow browsing under some conditions, and caused stability issues on systems it was installed on. It would 'randomly' crash itself at times as well, and seemed resource intensive. I WANT Adguard to be perfect, but it really is a beta product at this point - although improvements are made with each version - maybe in another year on Adguard? Adfender is just an interface for Adblock+ subscriptions, and seems to lack important features. Adblock+ works, but isn't a Port80 filter, so you are still downloading the ads to your PC.

IS there an alternative to Admuncher that is just as fast, just as feature rich, and with all of the stability of it? I want to find it - because I am 'seriously' concerned with the lack of development of Admuncher.. I cannot believe they simply don't sit down, and code the hell out of v5 and be done with it, or hire the people to help. They keep taking money, they need to deliver on those promises. I've had enough lipservice from Admuncher folks to last a lifetime, and I want to see some results, not promises.

While I love the product, I am beginning to think I should refund the 3 licenses I purchased during this sale while I am still within the refund window. But if I do, I would like a competent replacement, and so far haven't found one.

12. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

yes, unfortunately AM seems to be only maintained and not developed. it's the best paid ad blocker, but it will loose ground that way. when i asked about support for IE11 (actually the lack of it) the response i got was to uninstall IE11 and revert to IE10. given the situation, i decided not to buy another license last month and go with the free alternatives, which do a pretty good job.
    who knows, maybe support for https and IE11 will come one day...

13. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I'm going to try some tweaks with Adguard, frankly.. Maybe excluding it from the AV scanning, or whatever.

I think I am close to requesting a refund on the 3 licenses I recently purchased because the answers to some lingering issues (like IE11) aren't acceptable. Lacking HTTPS filtering in this day and age, is unacceptable especially since we know some ad/trackers are firing off through HTTPS these days.

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Well, I fully share your irritation. I am a longtime AM user. I upgraded to the lifetime license in 2012 to cover the free upgrade to v5 believing that it is just around the corner. It was my worst assumption I ever made. Another year has gone and v5 nowhere. I am myself questioning was it worth it? Yes it was worth and I have a few reasons to justify it:

1) AM works flawlessly and Jeff's support is excellent. If a site is damaged or an ad missed, Jeff always jumps very fast to resolve it. Daily advert list updates (usually two per day) are commonplace.
    2) Since AM project is a two-men show (Jeff and Murray), resources and time available for development are limited. That's fact which needs to be taken into account!
    3) That said, I am glad that I bought the lifetime license and thus could contribute to keep and further develop this great project.

Notwithstanding above I am eagerly awaiting v5 ;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I agree with you.I really don't have any issues regarding https filtering yet as 99% of my browsing is http.Its not as if the devs refuse or don't want to introduce https filtering is it?
    If it was that easy it would have been done by now.Personally I accept that and am happy to continue using it with or without https filtering

16. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Agreed.

I installed Facebook Ad remover in Opera to at least remove those, it's tiny, and deals with it.. MagicActions which I use anyway in Youtube, has an Adblocker for Youtube specifically. Those are the major HTTPS's with annoying ads at this point.

Until Adguard improves, or v5 of Admuncher arrives, looks like it's still AM..

17. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello Jeff,

I have a question for you. Whenever the new version 5 is out, will it filter out the ads in Metro apps in Windows 8/8.1? Just curious as to my knowledge there is nothing available at the moment to do so...

18. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

That is one of the goals, yes.

19. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Thanks Jeff,

Very good, appreciate the reply :thumb: ...

20. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

AM should run another half off sale soon, especially as 5.0 approaches.

I know a few people that missed the Christmas one that were planning on getting it. Largely because it wasn't well marketed.

21. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I think its a testament to both the difficulty of the problem and the ingenuity and quality of the programmers, that even with no development for years, AM is still quite easily the best ad blocker, in a segment which has no shortage of competitors. It's not an easy problem so solve, otherwise you'd see others using the same approach.

btw doesn anyone remember Proximotron :) I used to share and create custom rulesets and filters to tweak everything.

22. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Proxomitron was pretty great - could (can) filter HTTP/1.1 too ;)

23. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

It shows the work Jeff and Murray have done on it.

It's clearly the best.. Even heavily engineered products like Adguard aren't as good. With the recent revelations of Adblock selling out to 'the man', it pretty much leaves Adguard and Admuncher as the only kids on the block. I can say without reservation, Admuncher outperforms Adguard - at least so far.

24. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I think Proxomitron would be a nightmare to use on websites today.

25. pereba

pereba Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.