Ad-Blocker from Lavasoft

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Nanobot, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/company/blog/lavasoft-adblocker-beta-is-coming-soon

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I hope they're not expecting people to pay for it. If so, it'd better be an amazing program and work with HTTPS.

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

"We're currently working around the clock in ensuring that this will be the best ad blocking application out there!"

lol Curious if Jeff (Ad Muncher) needs to be afraid :D

However to be honest, the best ad blocking application out there is Ad Muncher and I would be really surprised if Lavasoft took over the leadership.

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'll be a little harsh in saying this, but quite frankly I think AdMuncher should be afraid of just about every competitor. Version 5 seems to be the "Duke Nuke'em" of ad blockers and, just like Duke Nuke'em, once it finally arrives, if ever, no one will care anymore.

5. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Indeed, 2013 is passing "fast" and still no AMv5 ....

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

That's right, v5 is late to my liking.

Though, I have to insist that AM is far best, I tried all so-called "adblockers" and adons and no one can match the quality of AM. Nevertheless, I agree it's question of personal needs and preferences.

7. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Let's hope Lavasoft is going to be the best. I own a license of Ad Muncher and had my share of problems with it regarding incompatibilities with other software. I got up to the point that I just uninstalled it because there support wasn't to good, with the only answers I got was that it was ALWAYS the fault of the other software vendor that's not compatible with Ad Muncher... it was never Ad Muncher's fault. Well those answers got real tiring real fast! But some credit to Ad Muncher... when it works correctly it works real good.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I have to admit that I already heard a few complaints on "selfish approach" of AM folks but myself cannot complain at all. All issues I ever had, and they can be counted on fingers, were resolved quickly and to my satisfaction.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

See I never really thought that AM was miles away better than anything else. At times I sort of felt like I was the support team/Dev. By the time I manually added filters, reported all the ads it missed (a lot of times you had to report specific pages even though the ad server was supposed to have already been filtered out) and manually deleting the config file and replacing it with another every time they released a new one for social media and such (this was sometimes multiple times a week), I got tired of fooling with it.

It's a two person team so they can only do so much, but yeah, I too got tired of "It has to be such and such program or just you". V5 has been promised for years now and, again, when it finally shows up I don't think enough people will care. Jeff himself is actually a nice guy, and the times I did deal with him personally he did seem like he was genuinely trying to help. But I just left that trial period very unsatisfied with the overall experience.

I'll be watching the thread for more Lavasoft news though.

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

There are so many ad-blocking apps out there, I'm not sure I would risk installing anything from Lavasoft, but that's just me.

11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Once upon a time Lavasoft was a very well trusted company. But, you've got a good point, the acquisition in 2011 really screwed that trust for anyone paying attention.

And yeah, there are enough options out there from simple HOST files to ABP/Adblock. All work well enough that I see no reason whatsoever to pay for them unless they can bring a heck of a lot to the table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.