Ad-aware v SpyBot Search and Destroy

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by polo, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polo

polo Guest

On the net I've seen that most people's recommendation is Ad-aware for the first choice but I've seen as well that people install Ad-aware, it picks up some spyware/junk... They then install SpyBot and it picks up a lot of stuff which Ad-aware had missed. So is SpyBot better?

BTw: There aren't that many factors involved as with comparing AV/AT scanners so a direct comparision is easier?

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Both programs complement each other very well.

Ad-Aware detects a number of pests that Spybot doesn't and vice versa.

SpyBot however also looks for privacy issues such as cookies, the Real Player mru list, Windows and IE logs, and moreover spots a limited number of registry inconsistencies.

This does get people confused, as when running SpyBot after running Ad-Aware, they still tend to get a large number of search results.

However, most of these can not be considered spyware or foistware in the real sense of the word, which is what Ad-Aware limits itself to, and
    It therefore also should not be construed as meaning that SpyBot is in some way "superior" to Ad-Aware.

I recommend using both.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

'Better' isn't really the applicable term here.

AA and SBS&D fulfill different functions - and where their capabilites converge, they handle things different ways.

Personally, I use both. Pete

4. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Me too! I run Adaware and then follow up with Spybot. I told my doctor about them and now he thinks I'm a genius. You wouldn't believe all the stuff he found with them! His system runs better now after cleaning out all that junk.

I'd say that these applications complement, rather than compete with each other. :D

5. controler

controler Guest

We can't forget to mention SpyBot's Detetion of Keyloggers
    and the Shredder.
    Before I am done he will have all the Keyloggers I can find.

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

me three!
    wouldn't be without either of them now!

AA detects so many spyware/malware that sneaks in from a web site, or software program.....but SpybotS&D detects hardware spyware! That impressed me alot!

example: SpybotS&D detected my soundcard's spyware (Creative Labs Audigy News files) ....am i ever glad i didn't let my curiosity get the best of me there and trigger it with that Playcentre!! ~whew~ i was suspicious of it...but SpybotS&D confirmed it for me when it flagged it. (Thank You Patrick!)

but i won't go anywhere on the net or download anything without Ad-Watch....watching. ;)

7. Hi

I've become quite attached to SpyBot. It's quite powerful. If you don't know what you're doing you could probably create havoc for yourself. I think Ad-aware, PP and Spybot go well together! :)

Regards

Gordon

8. controler

controler Guest

And !!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to get then dang really hidden Windows XP files and folders yet

Oh yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick is doing an awesome job ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.