AD AWARE scanning

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by carry, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carry

carry Registered Member

Hi,
    How many times during a week do I run a scan with ad aware se (Lavasoft free one)?
    I ask that because a friend of mine told me only every 15 days..BUT I went speedy and took a scan every 2 days..My quest is : is this normal to find so much indesirable objects at every scan?(also at very short intervals)
    Thanks for advice.
    Carry-

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

How often you run a scan is really up to the individual. What undesirable objects are you finding? If they are mostly cookies then a simple change to your Browser settings will decrease the objects found considerably. What Browser do you use?

3. carry

carry Registered Member

I have win xp pro sp2,and yes they are most of tracking cookies to be found.The settings to ad aware are running by default-
    Carry-
    (hope you understand my bad englishspeaking).:)

4. ThunderZ

Your English is fine. When I ask about your "Browser", are you using Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera or another?

5. carry

carry Registered Member

Sorry! Internet Explorer..

6. ThunderZ

No problem. Give this a try for a few days and see if it dose`t help the problem. With the Internet Explorer window open. Click on Tools\Internet Options\Privacy tab\Advanced button. Put a check mark in "Override automatic cookie handling". Then put a dot in Accept under First-party Cookies. A dot in Block Third-party Cookies and finally a check mark in Always allow session Cookies. Just to play it safe I would turn off System Restore, to clear any unwanted tracking cookies from previous surfing sessions then turn it back on. Now go ahead and surf as you normally would. Then run your scan. See if that dose`t cut down on the amount of undesirable stuff Ad-Aware finds, at least as far as cookies.

7. carry

carry Registered Member

Thank you for replies ,ThunderZ.I will try what you're suggesting.
    Carry-

8. ThunderZ

Let us know if it improves things for you.

9. carry

carry Registered Member

Hi ThunderZ,

So I have done that you suggested,by clicking into tools,advanced etc..In mines two boxes were not marked surely it 's the reason why ad aware found so much cookies..
    .Just to play it safe I would turn off System Restore, to clear any unwanted tracking cookies from previous surfing sessions then turn it back on:would you mind to clear them from ad aware ?
    Anyway it seems to be ok now
    Carry

10. ThunderZ

By clearing from Adaware do you mean the objects that Adaware has already removed? You can do that by going to Adaware -> Quarantine. Then deleting them. If you go through the settings there is an option to remove the objects from your system, not quarantine them.
    If you are asking about why shut off System Restore. It may contain those objects that Adaware removed but sense System Restore is protected by Windows, Adaware can not remove them from it. This can cause two things. 1) They will always be detected by Adaware. 2) If you do a System Restore you would be placing the Objects right back in to your browser.

11. carry

carry Registered Member

Thank you for feed back-
    Carry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.