Ad-Aware 9 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

You tube is a cesspool. I'd rather not deal with it at all than hang out waiting for a spec of gold dust to float by and then determine its merit. As for those there who purport to test anti-malware/security apps, not one of them has the brain power to test a paper clip if they were paid for it let alone any software. And I've watched eight-year-olds who possess better copy/paste skills.

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Softpedia rates adaware is as average while pcmag says its very good...

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

PcMag's review is for the paid version.....I installed it on my VBox and it failed to detect even Eicar test-file.

Also it didn't too well with languy's test as well....

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Beyond the bloat factor, to me the big question is, does anyone that cleans PCs up for either a hobby or a living depend on Ad-Aware anymore? To me, that is the best test. As I look around the web, Ad-Aware is no longer mentioned as a serious tool under any circumstances. I clean PCs for friends and co-workers and I dumped it long ago...

5. carat

carat Guest

... and Viper AV engine? :) That sounds promising :)

Ad-Aware Free: Detects Eicar test file during a regular scan
    Ad-Aware Pro: Ad-Watch Live! detects Eicar test file as soon as it hits the hard disk.

So it's a crippled realtime protection? :doubt:

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

They decided not to detect the test file in the free version on execution for some reason. However if you execute some known malware it will block it as it executes. The pro version does on-access scanning the free does on execution.

Yes the free is the Vipre AV engine.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

8. carat

carat Guest

How can I test if it works? :doubt:

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

No idea, you would have to ask the Lavasoft for a testfile since they don't the the normal one.

10. carat

carat Guest

:gack:

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.0

Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.0 received a very positive review from pcmag.com. See here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374093,00.asp

I installed it in an XP 32 bit virtual machine, where it runs fine. Installation was reasonably quick (much faster than AVG Free 2011) and the Quick Scan is very fast. I'll need to experiment with it in the field to learn more. In particular I'd like to see how it performs on older machines with 512 mb - they're the ones that struggle with some security packages. Anyone else using this at the moment and care to comment? And perhaps all the folks who feel that pcmag.com reviews are biased could just refrain from stating it yet again and add something constructive to the thread based on using the software? Yeah I know, it's a free-speech zone, but think of it as a Christmas gift :cautious:

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Merged Threads to Continue Same Topic!

13. minhgi

minhgi Registered Member

Re: Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.0

Alot of peep said PC Mag is bais. But I think it is more of a reliable resource compare with other sites.

About Adware Free and Eicar, Adware only detect and quarantine Eicar when you launch the test file. It will not do anything including downloading it. Adware does have a realtime detection engine when a file is being access. For some reason, Eicar have to be executed for the quarantine to take place.

:blink:

14. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

i have always found adaware beneficial to use strictly as an on-demand scanner, but i don't like the running background services. so i uncheck the box in msconfig, and disable adwatch.
    i prefer to scan in safe mode. another reason why i have always kept adaware around. it has always worked for me. occasionally it would find something. i would run it overnight while i'm sleeping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.