Ad-Aware 2007 Problem??

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by sooflymami, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Today, when I run the Ad-Aware 07 program, it's letting me scan but after it got to conditional folders, it froze and i cant even delete the infected ones if i have one. And there's 2 bars of how much I have it done but the bars aren't loading and not letting me know how much I have done so far..the bars were blank when I was running a scan..do you think it might be a spyware or a virus that's affecting it? Today, I clicked on a link by accident that someone gave me and gave me a link to the fake photobucket site on the hostsnake site. Do u think that might be related? Someone please help!

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Your AAW Support Forum is really where you need to bring attention to it because most users here long transitioned to SUPERAntiSpyware that doesn't choke up when it hits a malware. I should know, i used to Mod that forum and HijackThis and i can't count the number of times AAW brought systems to a halt when trying to remove malicious content, and from the looks of things nothing that much is changed since 3 years.

Maybe this forum staff can offer some alternatives to try. Best of Luck.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ran Ad-Aware 2007 Free - updated.

Scan Statistics :

Last scan : 13.04.08 01:01:00
    Last scan mode used : Full
    Last infection detected : none

Total scans performed : 1
    Total infections detected : 0
    Total infections removed : 0
    Total infections quarantined : 0
    Total objects scanned : 145840

Average TAI of infections : 0:00

As you can see : nothing and everything was normal.

My system is improved, because this scanner always found a MRU or a tracking cookie on my computer in the past.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

ROFL

With results as good as that time for you to finally dismiss FD-ISR to the bin right? :D

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I can remember I solved the tracking cookies with some cookie software, but I never got rid of the MRU's, even when I used MRU Blaster.
    Since September 2007 I'm totally clean of MRU's too.

6. sooflymami

When I use the Ad-Aware program, it ALWAYS stops when it gets to conditional file scan (the thing that always scans right before it takes us to the results)and it just happened recently. So I cant get rid of any infected stuff since it wont even let me take to the results. What should I do? And those bars aren't loading either for the section complete.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Can you boot into safe mode and then run the scans? Sometimes that can help.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Ironically and oddly enough innerpeace echos exactly what we staffers used to have to suggest to customers with such issues.

Sometimes it works but if you do happen to have a severe malware AAW is a dead duck and you then need to show a HijackThis Log to an analysis expert to assist you in manual removals which always include third-party tools to do the trick because AAW is never been given the attention it really should have long ago to improve it's scanning & malware removal.

9. sooflymami

I never did a scan on the safe mode before..is there any way I can get it to starting again like normally? And do you know why this is happening? When I do a scan, it says the overall progress is half way done and for the section progress, its telling me a little bit is done. How can I get this to start normally again? It freezes everytime when it gets to the conditional file scan section.

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

11. sooflymami

Oh, do u think uninstalling it and then reinstalling it wouldn't work? And do you think this is happening because something's just wrong with this Ad-Aware program? It doesn't even let me delete any files and doesn't take me to the results section either..it just freezes when it gets to the conditional scan folder section. Is this same thing happening to u too?

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Did u read the thread? By the posts i see there i would say yes.

I haven't used Ad-Aware in years. I just googled your issue and found the above thread.

snowbound

13. sooflymami

yeah i see other people are having this problem too but do u think i should wait until it gets it fixed or should i download another anti spyware program since its not letting me scan?

14. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Superantispyware free

www.superantispyware.com

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Guess I will wait a little bit longer before I change the Ad-aware program. :gack:

16. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

This sounds a lot like the problem I used to have with Microsoft Antispyware when it scanned my Hosts file. I used the MVPS Hosts File so it was fairly large. MS Antispyware would be doing fine until it hit that large file, then it would just keep scanning for hours on end without any progress. As far as I know the problem was never fixed. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with Ad-Aware, as there are other freebies out there that are far better. I would definitely concur with those suggesting SAS. I use it and it is multiplied times better than Ad-Aware, Spybot etc. There is also a free version of Spyware Doctor, even though it wouldn't be my first choice.

17. sooflymami

And everytime when it said tracking cookies and malware, I deleted those files everytime when I scanned instead of quarantining it since the new one doesnt say quarantine on it..but I been doing the same thing for Avast too ever since I got my computer. Do u think it should be ok?

18. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Gee, you must be loyal to AdAware. You've been questioning problems with it for months.
    'Bout time to bite the bullet, wouldn't you say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.